When you combine fish culture with growing plants (aquaponics), you must compromise with the needs of both the plants and the fish and maintain a pH of about 6.8. works pretty good.

To raise the pH we simply use potasium carbonate or calcium carbonate. You can also use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) however unless it is an emergency don’t add sodium bicarbonate to the water, it will harm the plants

If you need to lower your pH, sulfuric acid can be used. You should monitor your pH regularly. When adjustments need to be made, do it in small increments so as not to shock the fish.

Hi Scott,

You can raise pH levels with calcium hydroxide (builder's lime) and you can lower them using hydrochloric acid. The key is to use small premixed amounts of either - you must avoid sudden shifts in pH or your fish will suffer. Observe appropriate safe working procedures with both lime and acid.

Gary

Hello, first time here, just came upon this site, it's great! So, I need to bring down my Ammonia level as well as bring up my PH. My PH is around 5.1, and ammonia at 2.7. I have a 80 gallon tank. I was told to use calcium chloride to bring down my ammonia level, but how much to add is my question? 

2nd question: I was told to use potassium hydroxide and calcium hyroxide ( hydrated lime) 50/50 to control ph level. How much to add to a 80 gallon tank? cheers and thanks

Edited by GGore
wanted to add (see edit history)

Hi Ggore

Welcome to APN/HQ 

You might get more response to your Q by posting it in a new thread in this section  

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/forum/20-general-aquaponics-discussion/

not so many will see/visit your post when put in a old thread in the welcome wagon section

Are you cycling a new tank ?

Is there fish in the system ? if so I would go for water changes do to the toxic levels, also all adjustments should be slow on any matter 

http://www.ecofilms.com.au/aquaponics-health-understanding-ammonia-water-temperature-and-ph-balance/

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)