Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abdul

Abdul's Amazing Aquaponics!

53 posts in this topic

Hey everyone :] Hope you all are having a wonderful week. I introduced myself in the introductions thread a while back so I'll forgo it here and just introduce my system.

All my gardening is happening on my roof by the way.

There is a 70 liter Chift/Pist AP setup, thats usually running on a flood and drain cycle using a bell siphon which is currently acting up so its in continuous flow. There is also a bathtub AP system up there which just needs me to plug up a leak and it will be started. Lastly about 30 odd clay containers growing various vegetables, which got liberal feedings from the AP and the pond while they were in their vegetative states.

I'm planning a system of low tunnels up there, along with the plants all being in self watering containers, perhaps fabric containers now as per my newest research, hooked up together in an irrigation grid. That and a pretty looking AP system for showing off.

I'm using only organic products, started doing that mainly because of the AP but now I do it as a matter of principle, its undeniably the smarter thing to do, and it works! Wonders even!

I have no pictures to share, but a whole bunch of videos you can have a look at on YouTube. Here is a link to a playlist that will take you through the life of my system as it comes along from its humble beginnings. I apologize if I happen to have rambled, I promise the videos get better as they go along.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9BACF4A224FA38F2

Or you can just have a look at the latest update which I'm attaching here. In either case please do leave a comment and let me know what you think and any advice you may have. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them if I am able.

Hope to hear from you guys soon, cheers [:

Hello Abdul,

Welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more from you. :)

How do you mean rate? I'm all for them, if they're Affnan style, which my current one isn't. I am envisaging a different kind of setup though, to try and get the timed flood and drain cycle out of a mechanical siphon, should be interesting if I get it to work.

Hi Abdul,

Welcome to APHQ.

I think you videos are great......they make it very easy to see how your systems operate.

I'll watch more of them once I find some time.

Thanks for making them available.

Gary

Hey Gary, thanks :] You can just click the video to go my YouTube page and they're all listed there, there is even a timeline of the first 4 odd months, various how to organic remedies and some fun stuff about Karachi otherwise. Hope you have a great week, cheers :]

HI Abdul,

Another masterful effort.

How does it feel to be Pakistan's aquaponics pioneer?

I love the flat roofs on the houses over there. How often does it rain?

Gary

Thanks guys :]

It feels good Gary, especially now that I have a proof of concept, before that people would just look at me as if I was mad.

It rains in Karachi just a couple of times a year, but when it rains it pours! monsoons and all that.

Abdul,

Do you catch and store rainwater in Karachi? In Australia, for example, we store rainwater in large plastic tanks. I have 13,000 litres of such storage in my backyard.

Gary

Hey Gary, no we don't at least not in the cities at all. There is usually plenty of water in the country, that and planning is really poor so making up the shortages with rainwater isn't really an option anyone has ever really thought about. They used to do way back in the day centuries ago when the Moghuls were ruling, rainwater catchments that they built back then are still functioning today!

Abdul

Hi Abdul, system looks, sounds good, net too slow here, can't do videos, know the looks you get when showing AP, it's dry season now, water an issue, didn't get tank built in time, growing Talipia, lettuce, hoping to make $.

Pete

Hey Pete, you and me both trying to make $ buddy, and I don't know about you but thats the currency I want too rather than rupees ;)

Cover up everything best you can, shade your fish tank and sump tank so that evaporation is at its lowest. Not videos but if you can do some pictures I'm sure the forum can give you some useful input on the system :]

Abdul

love hearing about your Pakiponic and enjoy your video's very much my wife is always after me to get a video camera. I am starting to think it is a good idea after watching your videos they seem fun..

Thanks for watching Pugo, please rate them and subscribe if you like them, that gives me feedback and helps you stay aware of new ones I post :D

Here are these week's videos :D

Thanks for the great videos. I loved watching those. Look forward for some more in future.

Thanks shbsnt :D Here are a couple more for your viewing pleasure. Please hit subscribe on YouTube and you'll be sure to stay up to date, I have some exciting things planned ;]