GaryD

Online Urban Aquaponics Manual - NOW OPEN!

30 posts in this topic

Hi,

In mid 2010, faced with the task of writing the 3rd Edition of the Urban Aquaponics Manual, and taking account of the redundancy of printed information, the cost of postage and the emerging multimedia opportunities on offer, I decided that it was time to take the Urban Aquaponics Manual online.

Because the Urban Aquaponics Manual was produced in short print runs, we were always able to truthfully claim that it was the most up-to-date publication on aquaponics in the world.

Today, in another world first, I launched the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual.

So, not only is the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual still the most up-to-date publication on aquaponics, it now contains about 30% more information.....and many more images and diagrams.

In a world of rising prices, the good news is that, because we no longer have the expense of printing and postage, the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual is now less than half the price of the printed manual.

Not only that, by taking the Manual online we no longer use paper or plastic in its production.......so we're cutting the planet a break, too.

But that's not all.

Your investment in the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual will continue to yield dividends with each passing year. Every month, you'll be exposed to new material.....and you'll be able to access that in a media-rich environment that will include audio, video and animation.

We're also offering our Foundation Members a very special subscription arrangement.

I invite you to visit the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual.....and take a look.

Gary

Robertbab likes this

I have a copy of the print version of the Urban Aquaponics Manual, and have a subscription to the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual as well. It's good stuff, and a great value.

Great work Gary!

By the way, would you mind explaining the Foundation Member subscription arrangement a bit further for the benefit of all the forum members?

Thanks bud!

Having recently subscribed and as someone who is relatively new to Aquaponics, I find the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual a wealth of information.

I am constantly looking for ways to make my system more productive and safe for my fish. The information I need is all here. This manual is great value and I recommend it to all who are setting up a new system and those who have an existing system they wish to improve.

Joey

Edited by Joey (see edit history)

Thanks Joey and Kellen......I appreciate the supportive comments......and I'm pleased that you're enjoying the Manual. The really great news is that this is just the beginning!

.....would you mind explaining the Foundation Member subscription arrangement a bit further......

The best way to respond to your question is to quote the information that we put on our landing page for the Manual.

The Online Urban Aquaponics Manual is the first subscription website dedicated to aquaponics in the world. No-one has done anything like this before….so we don’t really know how successful it’s going to be.

We set the annual subscription at just $39.95 knowing that it represented excellent value. it’s less than half the price of the print version of the Urban Aquaponics Manual and the same price as a host of lesser books and videos.....so we have no doubt about the value proposition.

The price will rise to something more realistic some time in the near future.....but we had to start somewhere so, as a reward for the faith you showed in us by becoming a foundation subscriber, we’ve fixed the price of your annual subscription……for life!

That’s right! As long as you maintain continuous membership, your annual investment remains at just $39.95…….forever!

We were determined to reward those who supported us during the formative stage of the Manual with something that no-one, past a certain date (that we'll announce soon), would be able to get.......a subscription rate of $39.95 fixed for life......for as long as they maintained continuous membership.

Once the Foundation Membership subscription offer ceases, the subscription rate will increase and will be subject to annual price increases based on its cost of production.

Looking at things from a Foundations Member's perspective, having access to the most up-to-date manual on aquaponics in the world......that every year will contain more information, images and diagrams......and that will increasingly offer a media-rich experience that is just not possible in a printed book.....and that never increases in price......has to be seen as a very sound investment.

Gary

Hi,

Today's a special day.

Since early this morning, The Online Urban Aquaponics Manual has been #1 on Google (using the search term aquaponics).

We got onto Page 1 within a couple of days of launching the Online Manual.....and we're usually found hovering between the middle and the bottom of the page. And we'll probably go back to that again.

Today, however, we're #1.

To my subscribers.......a special thank you.

Gary

GaryD,

I think your manual sounds like something I need to add to my tool kit. I have few questions before I pull the trigger:

1. After I pony up the $$, will I be able to print off a copy for my own use?

2. What format will the document be in, pdf or ?

3. I would assume that I can save a copy on my computer, am I correct?

Thanks........mh

YEah .. joined just now... waiting fora new password, then ill try to log in again.. for some odd reason, my cookies didnt work.. dunno why...

Lookign forward to a lifelong membership :D

Hi MH,

1. After I pony up the $$, will I be able to print off a copy for my own use?

The Online Urban Aquaponics Manual is a subscription site which houses the Manual.

The manual comprises a mix of text chapters, web pages and slide presentations.

2. What format will the document be in, pdf or ?

You can print a copy of the text sections.....they're PDF's.

3. I would assume that I can save a copy on my computer, am I correct?

No, you can't......and nor do you need to.

The Online Urban Aquaponics Manual has been the most up-to-date publication on aquaponics.....anywhere.....since the first edition was released in 2007.

Going online allows us to expand that trend.....and, as such, the Manual is constantly growing. New material has been added since the Online Manual launch and more is being developed as I write.

You can read more about the Online Urban Aquaponics manual.....here.

Gary

Hi Vihalvor,

We process all memberships for the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual manually......and that's why we advise that it may take up to 12 hours to active a new membership.

It generally takes much less than that but I'd rather under-promise and over-deliver.

Gary

Not sure what's going on, but I sent along my payment by way of PayPal but I've yet to receive access to the manual. The authorization link did not work. Any help would be appreciated. - John Darnall

Hi John,

There you go.....five minutes after you log the problem, we resolve it. In fact, we fixed it without even knowing about it.

Glad you're in.....and I hope you enjoy the Manual.

Gary

Hi,

To all subscribers to the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual.....

If you haven't visited the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual in recent days, you're in for a pleasant surprise.

Back in early 2011, when we took the Urban Aquaponics Manual online, we undertook to add new material as we developed it. While that's happened, the more I looked at the range of our subscribers' interests, the more I became confused as to what should be in the manual and what should not. The result is that, while we've continued to develop new material, we were unclear about to put it.

In the end I decided that, rather than add non-aquaponic material to the manual, I'd simply create new manuals that reflected our broader Microponics approach to integrated backyard food production.

Now you can access two new manuals in the making......the Online Japanese Quail Manual and the Online Microponics Manual......and we'll be uploading new material about Japanese Quail and Microponics - each month.

Don't be concerned that we're abandoning aquaponics......nothing could be further from the truth. Since 2007, the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual has been the most up-to-date aquaponics publication - anywhere!.....and we'll ensure that that continues to be the case.

We hope you'll agree that, in making these changes.....where you'll end up with three manuals for the price of one.......we've leveraged the value of your subscription investment even further.

Over the coming weeks, you can anticipate further changes to the site.....including a name change that reflects the expansion of its scope.

Enjoy!

Gary

Hi,

To all subscribers to the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual.....

I've just uploaded a new page into the Microponics Manual featuring;

- The Mollisonian Chicken Tractor

- The Movable Chicken Tractor

- Free Range V. the Chicken Tractor

.....and there's more coming by the end of September.

Gary

Hi,

The Online Urban Aquaponics Manual has been the most up-to-date publication on aquaponics.....anywhere.....since we released the 1st Edition in 2007.

Since that time, we released the 2nd Edition and, in 2011, we created the world's first aquaponics subscription site....and took the manual online,

Recently, we've expanded the online manual to include the Online Japanese Quail Manual (into which we've already loaded the first six chapters) and the Microponics Manual (into which we've loaded a heap of new material on The Queenslander, Black Soldier Flies, Duckweed and Chicken Tractors. The manual will continue to grow with each passing month.

The bad news is that the price of an Online Urban Aquaponics Manual annual subscription will rise after 31st October 2012.

The good news is that......if you subscribe before 31st October......you not only get your annual subscription for $39.95....but it remains pegged at that price for life.........for as long as your subscription remains current.

If you're not already a subscriber.......this opportunity will not last past 31st October......so be quick!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Gary

Hi,

You have just 14 days to go.....to take up your subscription to the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual (which also incorporates the Online Japanese Quail Manual and the The Microponics Manual).....for the foundation investment of just $39.95 per year (pegged for life).

Gary

Hi,

You have just 14 days to go.....to take up your subscription to the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual (which also incorporates the Online Japanese Quail Manual and the The Microponics Manual).....for the foundation investment of just $39.95 per year (pegged for life).

Gary

After 14 days, what happens?

The price of the annual subscription increases.....probably to around $60 per year.

The Urban Aquaponics Manual, first published in 2007 (2nd Edition in 2008), was arguably the first credible publication on the subject in the world.

When I first took the Urban Aquaponics Manual online, I offered the current subscription of $39.95 as an inducement for people to get on board......and, to reward those people who took the initial leap of faith (it was the first aquaponics subscription site in the world), I stated that I'd peg their annual subscriptions at that price......for life.

Gary

Hi,

To all of my Online Urban Aquaponics Manual subscribers.....

This months' content:

The Online Urban Aquaponics Manual....

- Aquaponics FAQ

The Microponics Manual

- Securing your Micro-Farm

- The Microponics Workshop

The Online Japanese Quail Manual

- Lighting Quail

- Feeding and Watering Quail

- Genetically Speaking

If you're not a subscriber.....and would like to be.......click Here.

Enjoy!

Gary

So after reading through the entire manual, the one final thing that I would love to have is some sort of parts list or checklist. I know this is difficult because different systems require different parts, and parts will be slightly different from one area of the world to another, but for a brand newbie having at least a basic idea of what kind of tools and parts to buy would be invaluable. In my research I have yet to find such a list, so maybe if it is not feasible in the scope of the manual, maybe someone can point me in the right direction? I'm not thinking so much about fish tank or growbed construction, although the number and size of tanks would be valuable, but rather based on say the "Queenslander" model or something similar in terms of size, a list of the essential parts required for the build.

Hi Farbulous,

Thank you for the feedback.

So after reading through the entire manual, the one final thing that I would love to have is some sort of parts list or checklist. I know this is difficult because different systems require different parts, and parts will be slightly different from one area of the world to another, but for a brand newbie having at least a basic idea of what kind of tools and parts to buy would be invaluable.

You're right......it has proven difficult to span system types and geographical areas with anything that is coherent. The hope lies in the latter part of the above comment......providing more information about what to use and how to use the various components. Your suggestion is appreciated.....and I will begin to assemble such material.

I guess that's one of the best aspects of the Online UAP Manual. It can be added to as the need arises.

In my research I have yet to find such a list, so maybe if it is not feasible in the scope of the manual, maybe someone can point me in the right direction? I'm not thinking so much about fish tank or growbed construction, although the number and size of tanks would be valuable, but rather based on say the "Queenslander" model or something similar in terms of size, a list of the essential parts required for the build.

You have the Rubbermaid range of plastic tanks and tubs.......and Tractor Supply carry other useful tanks and components. Your local irrigation and specialty plumbing store is arguably one of your best aquaponics friends.

Please feel free to talk about anything else you particularly liked (or didn't like) about the Manual.....or anything else you'd like to see incorporated.

Gary

Hi,

To all of my Online Urban Aquaponics Manual subscribers.....

I've added another three chapters to the Online Japanese Quail Manual:

• Care of fertile eggs
  • Incubation
  • Brooding

Enjoy!

Gary

To all of my Online Urban Aquaponics Manual subscribers....

I've just added a section titled "15 Good Reasons to Use a Dedicated Bio-Filter".....here.

Enjoy!

Gary

Hey Gary,

What's happening with the website? Can't get any access at the moment.

Cheers