Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wey2go

HydroSmart. Anybody seen it?

35 posts in this topic

http://www.wme.com.au/categories/water/march4_04.php

An article suggesting it works, but those they say it works are using anecdotal evidence. How they claim it works defies the laws of chemistry and physics that I was taught. Of course the leading experts and schools taught that the earth was flat 500 years ago.

One thing that might explain what is happening is that nitrogen gas will absorb energy from radio waves if trapped in a magnetic field and it releases it when it comes out of that field. I would be more likely to suspect that if this does indeed work it is more along those lines. As daveoponic pointed out, it may function similar to an ultrasonic cleaner.

What I get from the article is that it worked great on removing scale, but did not affect algae growth in the the examples they looked at. I guess if scale is an issue in aquaponics, then it might have a valid use, but remain very skeptical.

I wonder if this is the college Gary referred to.

"Mark Moses, senior technical officer at Flinders University, had mixed results. It failed in cleaning out algae in a cooling tower but did stop the build up of scale - calcium carbonate deposits - in another air conditioning chiller. Previously, the tubes had to be physically scraped out and flushed with acid every 12 months. When opened for routine cleaning a year after a Hydrosmart unit was installed, Moses found the pipes as clean as a whistle. "

That's actually just a popular modern myth Ravnis. I guess because its such a great example of how just because the majority believe in something doesn't make it true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

If hydrosmart really does remove scale, why couldn't the company be happy simply sell it on those merits ? The would be a huge market for that, and they could have maintained their credibility. Instead they've tried to spin it as cure-all for practically every water based problem in human existence.

Hi,

I wonder if this is the college Gary referred to.

"Mark Moses, senior technical officer at Flinders University, had mixed results. It failed in cleaning out algae in a cooling tower but did stop the build up of scale - calcium carbonate deposits - in another air conditioning chiller. Previously, the tubes had to be physically scraped out and flushed with acid every 12 months. When opened for routine cleaning a year after a Hydrosmart unit was installed, Moses found the pipes as clean as a whistle. "

Actually, it was the Urrbrae Agricultural College aquaculture unit that I had in mind........the report is here.

That's actually just a popular modern myth Ravnis.

The flat earth notion is usually shorthand for those who persist with an idea (that is subsequently found to be factual) in the face of persecution by the vested interests of the day.......ruling class, church, etc.

I guess because its such a great example of how just because the majority believe in something doesn't make it true.

While you've used the "myth" of the flat earth, to make this point, the concept of the flat earth is, in itself, exemplified by the point......and the only part of the flat earth story that is a myth is the middle ages timing. There was a time when people definitely believed that the earth was flat.

Gary

Actually, it was the Urrbrae Agricultural College aquaculture unit that I had in mind........the report is here.

Gary

I saw that one, but did not want to offer it up as proof as it was from a biased website, Hydrosmarts. Snake oil salesman are so prolific in the US that one has to believe everything is false until proved otherwise. I can't tell for certain whether the story I linked to is indeed unbiased or not, but at least it was not from their website.

Arachdog, that is the big issue about why not say it's a descaler. I would be more willing to shell out the dough to test it if it's claims seemed at least reasonable. I still was unable to find much about it , good or bad, on web searches other than from people selling the contraption.

The flat earth notion is usually shorthand for those who persist with an idea (that is subsequently found to be factual) in the face of persecution by the vested interests of the day.......ruling class, church, etc.

..and the only part of the flat earth story that is a myth is the middle ages timing. There was a time when people definitely believed that the earth was flat.

It's sometimes used like that. But I believe the way Ravis used it is actually far more common. When it's used like that it's a great analogy because you don't need to explain the history for it to work. It's used as an example of the failings of science and\or popular opinion, not only did they get it wrong, but they should have known better. As all the facts were freely available. It may have been the myth of the timing that lead to this usage.Or perhaps vice versa.

I'm sure it can be used in other ways too. Strikes me as quite versatile.

Couldn't agree more Ravnis. To be honest even if I found conclusive proof that it did work as descaler,I needed a descaler, and it was the cheapest one on the market. I still wouldn't buy one on principle.

Thanks all, was a good thread renewal from a few years back. I may start up another thread when I start growing something (!). I look forward to seeing your other threads, about whats out there in this field. Like to hear which aquaponics technologies people have had good experiences with. Will still test out the rocket science, but can see how its not for everyone. Thats actually why Im testing it. Love a good technical challenge. I'm also involved in algae as biofuels, another technical challenge, but that opens up another can of worms doesnt it? Not too interested in debating that one. Bill Gates and Craig Venter can do that for me. So anyway I joined this forum to hear about what us punters are up to, because thats where the real differences are made. Thanks for encouraging us start-ups by giving us a voice. -Bob

I was attempting to use the flat earth analogy just point out that our science has defined truths and ridiculed new ideas only to later find out that the new idea was indeed correct. Your correction of the "flat earth myth" is actually a perfect example that something can be believed only to find out it was wrong. I probably should have just used phlogiston or spontaneous generation of life, or maybe that tomatoes are poisonous as better examples. I am old enough to have expert medical people do a lesson on quackery at our school. One of the main ones that sticks in my mind was an infared machine that was supposed to help with joint pain. There philosopy was that people who sold these machines should go to jail for a long , long time. Imagine my surprise twenty years later when my wife is in the hospital with a slipped disc and they are using an infrared machine on her back.'

Hi,

For those of you who are having difficulty coping with whether Hydrosmart works or not........cop this.......your very own power station in a box.

Gary

Looks good Gary. Short on detail but It's still got about billion times more credibility than the hydrosmart.

Hi,

This is one that no-one (except the utility companies perhaps) would like to see fall over.......particularly the venture capitalists that have ponied up $100m for the development of this little cutie.

Having said that, about 20 years ago, I remember Joh Bjelke-Petersen (then Premier of Queensland) pouring water into the fuel tank on a hydrogen-powered car. You had to get out of bed early to put something over a sly old dog like Joh.......but that day he bought a pup.

These days, I believe little that I can't put my hands on.......but even a battle-scarred old cynic like me has his fingers crossed on something like this.

Gary