Sign in to follow this  
GaryD

Other Fly Larvae

all maggots are pretty similar as food the difference perhaps being if the have pupated. so you can probably feed any species to your fish.

if you want to control which ones come you can as some like fresh meat, some old meat, some other decomposing materials- eg vegetation.

but since fresh meat becomes old meat very quickly it is hard to stop chrysomya coming if they are around.

BSFs may be different as they do come to veggies and they seem from pics to partially pupate as they develop so they may have a different nutrient composition to non pupated maggots. This is one of the reasons we want to try some.

PS a gentleman phoned and left a message about sending me some BSFs, I have lost the message - it was deleted by my phone bank - as i was away from work for a week with sick family. If you could contact me again it would be appreciated.

Hi,

We've been adding vegetable scraps to the Bio-Pod every couple of days. Yesterday, I had to kill a quail hen that had suffered a prolapse......and so I put her in the BioPod, too.

While it's cooling off quickly, I'm hopeful of some BSF activity soon.

Gary

Hi,

There's been some larvae action happening in the BioPod during the past 24 hours or so. Most of the larvae appear to be those of houseflies - probably pigging out on the quail that I put in there three days ago.

Today, when I opened the lid, I spotted a female BSF in the unit. Hopefully, she's laid her eggs in the unit.

Gary

hi Gary

remember to keep some for me -

i got hold of a few australian soldier flies down here in melbourne but they seem very temperamental

i'm hoping the real bsfs will be better

Hi Gerry,

It's with you in mind that we've cranked the BioPod up.

I've seen a female BSF in the 'Pod but she doesn't seem to have laid eggs.

Yesterday, I saw these in there but I suspect they're still housefly maggots that are interested in the dead quail in the 'Pod.

Gary

post-2-13795788248418_thumb.jpg