Sign in to follow this  
Guest DaveOponic

Sick Koi - bleeding fins

How well is your water oxygenated?
Good question JD

Here is the most common cause of fish deaths in Tank systems. I would be brave enough to say 99% of deaths in home systems.

If there is not enough dissolved oxygen in the water the fish will die. If the fish have been starved of oxygen for a short time and you restore the air supply, still expect deaths over the next few days. Once fish have suffered lack of oxygen it is not uncommon to have random deaths for several days later.

Fish dying every couple of days or for a week after, can give the appearance that there is some disease in the system, but it is the result of not enough dissolved oxygen in the system. The fish suffer damage.

How do I know this ?

Hard experience !!!! :o

If you are adding that much air to your tank that you are lifting the fish out of the water, then that is possibly too much air...........:D ......but up until that point there cannot be too much air supplied to the tank.

I know that is a bit extreme, but I hope it makes the point of the need for plenty of air.

I have seen systems where people buy silly little tiny $10.00 air pumps.......Buy the big one....go for it....fish need air.

There is some equipment it does not pay to skimp on.

People think they can get enough air into the system just by the return water.....well that is often true.....but just in case, add a GREAT BIG air pump to your system ASAP.

It will save you much disappointment.

Good question JD

Here is the most common cause of fish deaths in Tank systems. I would be brave enough to say 99% of deaths in home systems.

If there is not enough dissolved oxygen in the water the fish will die. If the fish have been starved of oxygen for a short time and you restore the air supply, still expect deaths over the next few days. Once fish have suffered lack of oxygen it is not uncommon to have random deaths for several days later.

Fish dying every couple of days or for a week after, can give the appearance that there is some disease in the system, but it is the result of not enough dissolved oxygen in the system. The fish suffer damage.

How do I know this ?

Hard experience !!!! :o

If you are adding that much air to your tank that you are lifting the fish out of the water, then that is possibly too much air...........:D ......but up until that point there cannot be too much air supplied to the tank.

I know that is a bit extreme, but I hope it makes the point of the need for plenty of air.

I have seen systems where people buy silly little tiny $10.00 air pumps.......Buy the big one....go for it....fish need air.

There is some equipment it does not pay to skimp on.

People think they can get enough air into the system just by the return water.....well that is often true.....but just in case, add a GREAT BIG air pump to your system ASAP.

It will save you much disappointment.

Yep i go for all of the above at the moment i run 12 large air stones in various parts of the system

While I understand Ammonia and Nitrites are the fish killers it seems that both are the result of too much nitrate. Correct me if I am wrong though.

http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=aquariumammonianitratesnitrites

I found no ammonia and while I don't yet have the nitrite test kit, I suspect little nitrites. There was an acceptable ammount of nitrates (between 5 - 10 mg/L) So water change has worked and restored the balance.

Given I lost my first fish yesterday and my previously perfect record is now tarnished :o im not sure I still qualify to give advice on this subject anymore :o

However for what its worth my system has always run at around 80ppm of Nitrate which is twice what they reccomend in that link.

My tank is covered so dont have a problem with nitrates causing algae and the ammonia and lack of oxygen/increased carbon dioxide it can create.

As a master killer of fish (a member of the 300 club) I absolutely agree with the sentiments about air pumps.

I now run three pumps with each running a lead to each tank. So if one fails two are still supplying air.

My latest has a DC battery function that will provide air as well as the DC bilge pump Murray supplies.

There is nothing worse then a major kill, trust me

Chris

All true guys but a koi and tilapia are able to withstand lower oxygen levels than most other fish, Koi as do gold fish can get oxygen from the air, in Dave's case his fish deaths could very well be a combination of things including poor oxygen levels. But an over stocked pond supplemental oxygen is essential, I have a 35w electromagnet 600L/hr air pump costing about $80 but I seldom use it, as I am running a continuous system I have a bypass shower jet to agitate and aerate the water (very similar to the photos in madcows system) + my return from by beds so I am running oxygen fairly high, to get any higher pure oxygen injection would be required.

During times of sick fish additional oxygen will never go astray as it reduces stress and healing time. Even those fountain pumps (the ones that make the pretty water falls) will oxygenate a pond while dissipating carbon dioxide too.

Guest DaveOponic

I am learning a lot from your posts over the past few days. I know know how to test my pond and keep my water & fish healthy. I've got the test kits now and everything looks good. Back to crystal clear water again too.

My concrete pond is at one end of the verandah and I estimate holds about 800 - 1000 litres. The fish don't get direct sunlight and the water temperature is pretty stable at around 28 - 30 C .... a bit cooler than the swimming pool.

I have a big submersible pump that drives a waterfall that is on during the day. (I started switching it off at night because I suspected the smaller fish may have got vacuumed into the intake as they seem to sleep in a "cave" where the pump is located) I also run a large air stone 24 hours a day. There are two pipes that splash water back into the pond from the growbed and the NFT pipes so I think oxygen shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and experience. I plan to expand soon with a 1500 litre plastic tank so I will be more confident about start up and cycling once it's set up.