Sign in to follow this  
GaryD

Tilapia in Queensland

Of course hickory & cherry are very popular for smoking foods.

Yes, I mainly use Hickory.

Managed to get my hands on some Peach to smoke with recently....I was very impressed with it.:)

Hi,

Ive used both, Lemon Myrtle & Star Fruit to smoke eels, chicken & fish. Of course hickory & cherry are very popular for smoking foods.

Cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I might chop a branch off the belimbing (star fruit) tree and try using it next time I smoke some fish.

Dave

Hi,

The thing to remember with hot-smoked foods is to limit one's consumption. As good as it tastes (and regardless of which wood you use), all hot-smoked food contains harmful compounds and should be consumed in moderation.

Gary

Good advice Gary. We don't smoke fish or even BBB that often now. As our kids have grown up and we approach retirement age things slow down a bit and my wife and I are both more health conscious. Beer is a rare treat as it gives me gout, as does red meat and other rich protein foods so more and more we are eating vegetarian foods. So the AP system will become more important as we become older.