Sign in to follow this  
Outbackozzie

Outbackozzie's Kalgoorlie Systems

Totally inspiring, Just makes my want to get my system up faster. I pray that I stop adding things I want to build to it so I can stop designing equipment for the new system..

Hi Colin,

Great photos!

The image limits were set at 10......now no limit. The URL and image description boxes in the attachment manager are at their maximum of 10.

What do you do that has your photos come in at the size that they are? Most other photos on the forum appear as thumbnails initially.

A crowding net comprises two gates made from PVC pipe (with holes drilled in them to allow them to sink) that, end to end, span the diameter of the tank. The gates have suitable netting zip-tied to them.....picture a sheep gate or similar.

The are zip-tied together and folded back on each other......and lowered into the tank. Operating them is a two-person job. One person holds one gate steady against the side and bottom of the tank while the other person slowly moves the other gate around the radius of the tank......gradually herding all of the fish into a much smaller area....from where they can be easily netted.

Make sense? Let me know if you need more detail.

Gary

Yup, makes sense, but unfortunately I have two pumps in the middle of the tank, with the associated pipework going to each end as well...I think I will be stuck with draining the tank each harvest, which is not too big a problem, allows airstones to be replaced and pumps to be checked.

I upload the full size photo to smugmug and then I use the IMG tags to link it here.

as in - http://wa-donaghy.smugmug.com/Other/AquaPonics/i-RtWZfV2/0/L/1000d%20img_0722-L.jpg

becomes {IMG]http://wa-donaghy.smugmug.com/Other/AquaPonics/i-RtWZfV2/0/L/1000d%20img_0722-L.jpg[/img}

1000d%20img_0722-L.jpg

I can choose the size of the picture as well:

814962490_DUtKw-S.jpg

hi im new to aquaponics ive set up a bathtub system to start and caught my fish from a local river 3x black bream 1x banded grunter and 2x spangled perch do u think they will take to pellet feeding? i havent seen them feed at all although i throw in some maggots as well cos im not sure if there eating the pellets also do i need to clean my fish tank at all and when can i start planting out veges fish were added on the 22.4.11 what are ur toughts thanks scott

look for a "master test kit" that will test for ammnia, nitrites, nitrates and ph, i got mine for around $25

go ahead and put in seeds/seedlings now..

go easy on feeding until you are sure your system is cycled (this can take 4 weeks give or take)

to feed train the fish, start with hydrated pellets (if you are using floating pellets) - mix some in water overnight in a baggie, then when you give the pellets a little squeeze, they'll sink - you may want to mix some live food with your pellets right before feeding, as they get used to the pellets you won't have to hydrate them

thanks outback will re- release them to the creek. ive actually found out where i can get some jade perch locally after i get rid of the bream ,will i have to change the water or can i chuck the jades straight in the current water im using for the bream?thanks

Hi Skulker,

......will re- release them to the creek.

Please don't do that. If you don't have the stomach for it, get someone else to kill them for you. Taking organisms from the wild is not a good thing to do......and releasing them back into the wild is even worse. If you have any diseases in your system (whether they are visible or not), you risk spreading them to wild fish populations.

Gary

point taken gary will not re release them back to creek will have to knock em and throw em in my fish syrup barrel for my garden plants .as for taking organisms from the wild the numbers of black bream here in nth qld are huge we usually eat them and the kids love their fishing all undersized fish caught are always released back to the creek.

Work in progress....

1000D-IMG0741-L.jpg

Water inlet distributor.

1000D-IMG0743-L.jpg

Water outlet.

1000D-IMG0744-L.jpg

All plumbed up.

1000D-IMG0760-L.jpg

1000D-IMG0762-L.jpg

Rest of the garden is doing the usual slow growing winter thing. Have been hitting as low as 8 degree water temps so far.

1000D-IMG0761-L.jpg

Progress has been slow due to terrible weather.

Hi new to the game, i am trying to find some IBC container in Kal and havent had much luck any chance you could point me into the right direction, i was also wondering does it matter what has been previously stored in the container or can you give them a decent scrub.

Cheers

I get IBC's from all around the place, jut keep an eye out for piles of them, find out what was in them, then haggle a price :D As long as the containers are nice and white still, most stuff degreases / truckwashes out ok.

The pond liner is supported by the drill rods...

Massive looking system. also very cool. It will take a while for me to digest what I have seen.. But at this point it looks great.