FeyWind

Snail Experiment

10 posts in this topic

With all the rain this spring, snails have become a real pest in our garden - we've got so many that even the chooks can't eat them all - part of the reason I bought broilers was so that I didn't have to waste so many weeds and snails. But the broilers are still to small..... which leaves a snail excess....... I hate waste...

So I looked up the recipes and techniques. In the deepest most secret manner I collected enough snails. I waited a couple of weeks feeding them dill. I hesitated for a couple of weeks then on Monday (when the hubby was out and couldn't see and all the kids were in bed) I cooked them up in salt water then in herbs.

I've caught, purged and cooked the snails.... the question is will my kids or husband notice them amongst the mushroom and veges in the pasta tonight? I've decided on a carbonara/boscaiola style pasta sauce and will be cooking it, adding the snails, garden broadbeans, mushroom and garden asparagus. Hopefully they will be too busy complaining about the asparagus to notice the other additions. :D

Hang in there for reactions...

Cecil and Robertbab like this

Hi,

I've eaten snails and I'd eat a lot more of them if I could get them without having to pay through the neck for them.

If your old man or the kids stack on a turn about eating the snails, invite me for dinner and I'll take their punishment.

Gary

Dh just said you're most welcome to come and eat all you want.

He seemed more distraught about being told he was eating snails than the actual eating. I told him in mid meal and he did finish the food..... with a dirty look at me. My eldest (6 y.o.) didn't notice them when she ate them and didn't like being told about them either (after she'd eaten). Her words were "Don't tell me", not "don't cook them". My observant 4 y.o. was quizzing me through dinner about whether I had put mussels or octopus in the food - she didn't like it much, but seemed intrigued to be told what she had just eaten, almost as if she'd like to try them again. My 2 y.o. was in his own little world and hadn't eaten much of dinner anyway (normal for him).

So, not a big drama.... though I wonder if I will get questioned closely about the contents of dinners for a while.

If I cook them again, I think I will do them in a bigger batch. I processed about 4 dozen together which ends up being only a small amount of meat for a lot of effort - purging, rinsing, cooking twice. I do feel I've got my own back on the snails though (and on kids who complain about food). So maybe it is worth it :D

Hi FeyWind,

Dh just said you're most welcome to come and eat all you want.

He seemed more distraught about being told he was eating snails than the actual eating.

Snails are vastly underrated food. If the French will bother to cook and eat something, it's generally good food......and they eat many thousands of tonnes of snails every year.

Most people react similarly when they are told that they are eating something that they might already have taken a position on.

My partner Jan had a very strong position on eating goat meat. She got her first taste of it, decades ago, in a "lamb" curry which she said was lovely. She subsequently proclaimed some barbecued "lamb" cutlets among the best she'd ever eaten.

Neither event interfered with her capacity to reject goat meat at every turn. To this day, she says she wouldn't eat it.....but she has .....and she probably will again.

Her brother used to comment on how he would never eat offal....but he did eat sheep's brains and never realised it......and became very indignant when he was told about it afterwards.

Keep digging up interesting things for them to eat.

Gary

NilliamSuby likes this

I've noticed large garden snails eating webs from ground spider .I believe to be type of funnel web. These snails I've seen 3 different ones eating webbing from 3 different webs .could they be gaining something for their sticky slime for climbing or some minerals missing from normal diet? I'm clueless this is very bizarre to me. 😀

Has anyone noticed or heard of anything similar occurring in snails anywhere?

So I've decided to do a little experiment. First I will capture around half dozen large garden snails and place them in a 10 gal. Tank. Later I plan to collect web from ground spiders to see if I can replicate what I saw in nature. If this doesn't work I may try placing snails around a already built web see if they will feed from it. Hopefully will have interesting outcomes.

Larger garden snails are not easy to find. Was wondering since I've read some people have problem .if methods of luring them into certain areas was possible. No one has responded to my question about snails consuming spiderwebs as part of their diet. Some im assuming this is new to the science of basic snail behavior.more research must be done but if anyone seen anything similar even with slugs or aquatic snails please post back.

My observation of snails in general is that they do not easily populate areas that are low in digestible calcium. what you are seeing is a long chain of life that is targeting this nutrient as part of its diet.

insect exoskeleton -chicken- egg shell

insect exoskeleton - spider- silk- snail- snail shell

it is a good bet that spiders silk is very high in calcium based on observing what they eat and the fact that some spiders consume there own web

Mike the reason it is slow is that you have resurrected a 5 year old thread, this is a small group and there is an Australian bias, on the whole if it is not our field of expertise/interest we (aussies) tend to say nothing rather than offer an opinion based on nothing that you could mistake for knowledgeable advice..

If we are tossing ideas around as a group to find a solution to a problem that we are all having or we are just chatting that is different. You have asked a very narrow question here that makes it hard to reply.