Sign in to follow this  
gbj

Yabbies

Hi Jonathon,

He is now back in with a female and I think they are mating again... they are sharing a hide head to tail??? I haven't seen that before!

A recent update... my original breeding pair is no longer. The male (or something else) killed the female.

I am not sure why but I reckon' my yabbies are at each other and slowly killing each other off intentionally or unintentionally. Some tend to grow much faster/bigger than others? It seems that the bigger ones are prevailing.

I have been breeding redclaw for the last year and a half. I have had a measure of success altho I have lost due to power outages that werent noticed. One thing that I have noticed is how much the Redclaw shapes its habitat. One female alighned severl plastic pipes I had into a corner and shapped the pebbles around it. Small lobsters seal themselves into plastic bottles or bury themselves quite deep. My remaing large male seems to leave the much smaller crayfish alone but I am sure its knocked off its male rivals.

At the momment I have one tank that acts as a bio filter, 2/3rds dull of gravel, for a larger tank. My lobsters live on this. The issue I have found with this is that the pebbles allow the feed to fall to far down the cracks. I would prefer to try topping it with a coarse sand so that the crays can filter feed thru the top.

I am using prawn feed which is not designed for crays so they would benefit from the flora and funa in the sand layer I imagine.

Hi Martin - any further update on the yabbies? I have 2 x 250 L duckweed tanks that I am about to set up and was thinking of adding yabbies to them - I am just a bit unsure of how to circulate the water from these tanks to the main tank and back again as they will be sitting on the ground below the main tank. I wish I knew someone who specilised in water flow!

Here is a similar idea to the EDU cells that I have come up with. Perhaps I could use a CD Cake box - like the one I have photographed. One per yabby screwed together end to end. Drill holes all around it - like a slightly larger version of the EDU system.

I am desperatly trying to find a source for these for another unrelated purpose - cant seem to find them anywhere. Seems people just throw them out when they have used all the CD/DVD's up.

If anyone can suggest a place to buy used items in bulk let me know.

Hamish I wouldn’t recommend you persevering with such a system, yes it is reusing but the system doesn’t work as good as people claim they are. We had a very similar operating system when I was at Ag school an there was barely any growth rates (everything was fine temp etc) and quite a number died. Don’t forget when a yabbie sheds its skeleton it needs room to be able to maneuver out of it and if anyone has seen them in action when they are doing this in a aquarium they need much more room than say a 100 CD cover. Hey look if you want give it a go but don’t expect much.

Fair call - might get 2 small red claw and a couple of dvd cake boxes and give it a go in the main tank as an experiment. Only thing I am wondering about is if the plastic these DVD spindles are made out of will leach nasty chemicals into the water?

I use bread crates tied together in the pool for yabbies. And I noticed that having a couple of bricks with the holes in them end up as yabbie hotels.

Hamish when you move out this way you'll be able to get yabbies by the hundreds from Narrabri. They also have golden, silver perch and murry cod. I've even got a supplier permit for yabbies as live bait. Just pm me once your finished moving.

I use bread crates tied together in the pool for yabbies. And I noticed that having a couple of bricks with the holes in them end up as yabbie hotels.

Hamish when you move out this way you'll be able to get yabbies by the hundreds from Narrabri. They also have golden, silver perch and murry cod. I've even got a supplier permit for yabbies as live bait. Just pm me once your finished moving.

Thanks Duff - ill give you a holler once im put that way.

Hi all

These pots are called HIKO Trays usually used for raising seedlings.

Here is a link to the Guys who make them.

http://www.danbar.com.au/products.php?display=82

According to their website they are $4.35 AUD per Tray. Couldn't find any dimensions but from memory each cell is about 1.5Inch Diameter & 3 - 4 Inches Long.

Might be too small for yabbies - but worth a go for smaller ones I guess.

I was thinking about giving these a try if they aren't too expensive. They are from http://blueyabby.com/en/.

They don't list prices on the web page, but they have a starter kit of 4 cells to try. The cells clip into a row up to 2m long. The rows spin in the tank some how. I couldn't tell how they spun from the video, but it looked a bit messed up to me.

I was thinking about giving these a try if they aren't too expensive. They are from http://blueyabby.com/en/.

They don't list prices on the web page, but they have a starter kit of 4 cells to try. The cells clip into a row up to 2m long. The rows spin in the tank some how. I couldn't tell how they spun from the video, but it looked a bit messed up to me.

Hi Finn,

Good luck trying to get hold of those guys - the couple of times I have tried it took months to get a response. Hopefully they have lifted their game.

Hi fellas sorry my first post is a negative one...

A few points:

• The cells are not suitable for growing any crayfish past the 30gram mark
  • They create a high risk of pathogen outbreak, too many nooks and crannies
  • The oxygen levels within the cells is poor as water flow through them is next to none.
  • Feeding the crayfish is redundant, expensive and dangerous
  • You can not run aeration in the tank as the cells fill with air and float
  • Way too expensive - eg; 2x5000L tanks and a Nexus 200 kit will set you back 25K

The list goes on but the above is of concern.

Hi Guys

I notice you are looking for HIKO trays. We have recently taken over an ex-forestry tube nursert and we have 40 cell HIKO trays for sale used. Much cheaper then the prices your are quoting as new. If you are interested in purchasing them or need more additional information such as photos, please let me know. We will be putting them on ebay in 2000 tray lots shortly.

These pots are called HIKO Trays usually used for raising seedlings.

Here is a link to the Guys who make them.

http://www.danbar.com.au/products.php?display=82

According to their website they are $4.35 AUD per Tray. Couldn't find any dimensions but from memory each cell is about 1.5Inch Diameter & 3 - 4 Inches Long.