Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GaryD

The iPad

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

My birthday present this year was an iPad.....and, I have to say, I can't remember when I got a better one.

This little gadget is the ultimate personal digital assistant. It allows me to plug into the web anywhere so I can get my email and keep an eye on my favourite websites. I can write virtually anyplace and I can connect it up to my iMac to transfer documents, photos, music......you name it......and to sync my email.

The really powerful thing about it, however, is the huge range of apps.....little programs that enable one to to so many things. Apps range in price from free to $12.99 (for those that I have bought) and they extend the capability of the iPad enormously.

I got an Apple wireless keyboard to go with it.......and I'm just stoked.

Anyone else got one of these things?

Gary

I'm not a huge fan of their computers (I still prefer PC), but The iPad is awesome. I haven't bought one for myself yet, but I'm certain I will. I've used them quite a bit. I was such a fan of a demo model I played around with that I bought a bunch of Apple stock right before the iPad public release in the US. The stock is up a little over 50% since then. Gotta like that! :)

You might be interested in taking a look at the "AquaNotes" app. If you use some certain fish tank controllers and monitors (Aquacontrollers seem to be the favorite) and connect said controller to an Internet conection, you can control most aspects of your AP system via your iPad and also monitor water parameters such as pH, temp, ORP, DO and more from anywhere in the world! :) You can turn pumps on and off, lights on/off, etc.

I'm planning to install a similar system in my new and vastly upgraded hatchery facility, and at that point, the iPad is DEFINITELY going to have to be purchased. hehe

Hi Kellen,

I took a look at that application. It looks interesting.....which probably translates into costly. I'll investigate more closely when time permits.

Gary

Yes, they are pretty costly. Not practical for a lot of people. However, for larger systems they could be a very wise investment. I will likely monitor temp, pH and ORP to start out with. The dissolved oxygen probes are EXPENSIVE, and monitoring ORP really gives you a pretty solid idea of overall water quality. Long term, I'll probably add dissolved oxygen monitoring too, but not for a while.

I believe you can use several less expensive controllers/monitors as long as you run them through an always on PC with the aquanotes software installed.

My wife is going to school to be a nurse. Next year she needs a PDA for school, and so she is looking at ipads or maybe just an iphone. I know I will be a little jealous of her having all the new tech stuff.

Hi Josh,

Do whatever it takes to get her into the workforce. The investment in the iPad will repay itself many times over once your partner starts pulling a salary.......and the world always needs more nurses.

Gary

Hi,

I love being able to hold this thing in one hand while checking mail or writing forum posts......anywhere.....

anytime!

The ability to sit in my car and do web searches......or to be able to jot down a note (in my own handwriting) ......or do up a quick sketch....is really satisfying.

Gary