Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreenFin

Hi from Kansas

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody :)

I am currently upsizing from my proof-of-concept stage (a small system I've been operating outdoors for about 4 months) to an enclosed greenhouse stage (24x36 with a 6k fish tank). I intend to build this new greenhouse & AP system over the next 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,

GFF

Hi Kellen,

You might remember me. I picked up 2 dozen blue tilapia from your house about 2-3 months ago. I only talked with your wife (you were down the hall in the kitchen). I was the guy who couldn't buy the fish food she had set out because I didn't have any cash on me (didn't realize I'd need it). If it helps, I'm 34, 6'4" 260, and had a thick brown beard and beige visor at the time.

Regarding your tilapia...guess what I learned? While fry like to hide in gravel, they're not all smart enough to come back out into open water before they get too big to get back out lol. When I got home I put them into a 5ft diameter wading pool that was mostly filled with gravel for use as a grow bed. I had dug out a small section of the gravel, giving them a 3-5 gallon pool in which to live with plenty of vegetation cover. Within a day almost all of them had gone exploring into the gravel (1-2" river bed gravel). Only 4 ever came back out. Lesson learned: don't rear fry where they can get themselves lost and/or trapped away from open water.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Oh no! Really sorry to hear you lost so many of your fish. I would suggest using a 5 or 10 gallon aquarium without any gravel or any other structure to grow them out to about 2 inches or so next time around. Add an air powered sponge filter, and you are all set.

Let us know if you need anything. We're always happy to help. :)

Hey GreenFinFoods,

Another Kansan here. I am a member on another forum, but its soooo nice to see other people from the same region or state around here. Its nice to have locals who share the same climate and conditions. Sorry to hear about the tilapia. Good tip to learn, thanks.