Joey

Joey's Hybrid Gravel grow bed/Floating raft system

157 posts in this topic

Hi

I have just managed to load a video of the water flow, I think the result is great.

Just a correction to my previous post. The V30 pump is 25 watts while the V20  is 15 watts.

I never filmed the V20 as I did not think it was a worthwhile result. All parts where assembled without glue using tape to seal the joints. It may work better when everything glued.

Cheers

Joey

https://vimeo.com/85706557

Edited by Joey (see edit history)

Hi Joey

are you gone put the overhead filter in level on the new ras layout to be able to use it in a lowhead (airlift) or are you looking at other biofilter options on the new system ?

Nice airlift pics&vid thanks

I see Cecil, is on to, a airlift trout ras as well, exiting  to compare systems & solutions you both decide on

How much topup water and what source do you use, do you know ? and in case of a blackout like you had earlyer can you switch to flowthru until power is restored ?

the airlift is gona be in the rassump feeding the fishtank(s) ?

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

Thanks Ande

My plans have changed in that the RAS is still running with 50 silver perch. They have been moved into the trout tank and are loving life in their new home as well as the hot conditions.  

Before dismantling and rebuilding my RAS I will build a new home for the silver perch in the green house also using airlift. This system will be built with all components on the one level.

Listed below are the components in order of water flow:

* Fish tank

* Radial Flow Separator

* Clarifier/Filter

* Moving Bed Bio Filter

* Gravel Grow bed (Constant flow)

* DWC Floating raft bed

* Sump

* Water returned to Fish tank

Finally when I rebuild the RAS in the shed I will re use the overhead bio filter tanks as level constant flow grow beds, they be located outside in the garden.

Cheers

Joey

ande likes this

Hi Guys

Just a note to you let you know that I haven,t given up on aquaponics.  Although some of the plans for my system that I talked about have never eventuated, I am still running my system, two weeks ago I travelled to Buxton and purchased 30 trout yearlings. I am now running a mixture of trout and silver perch in the same tank. My wife complained about her vegetable growth and that is the reason I increased my stock level. I have noticed some of the silver perch normally on a hunger strike due to the cold are now feeding along with the trout.

I have been following the forum and have been reading up about IAV,S  and as a result, the other day I spent a few hours driving around the local garden supplies looking at the different types of sand available. 

I bought an old boat two years ago and that has taken some of my time away from aquaponics.

Cheers

Rudy

Hi Rudy,

Good to hear from you

Life has it's phases so yeah, it's understandable you need to spend time elsewhere.

I'm interested to hear you are growing Trout and Silvers together...Sounds like the Silvers can look after themselves.

Also interesting your Silvers are now feeding when it's cold...I don't know but it sounds like they have acclimatised to the conditions a bit.

Cheers. 

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

Hi  BD

My system is still running however the two smaller fish tanks that used to house my Silvers and Murray cod were removed two years ago because I needed room in the shed. 

Trout and Silvers together appears to be fine as long as the Silvers are bigger than the Trout and at the moment they are.  The Trout will catch up, but I expect they will be harvested before they are a threat when the water temperatures become an issue.  

I still have the tanks removed from the shed and thinking of using them again but somewhere outside.

Are you currently running Silvers and Trout in your system ?

Regards

Rudy

Hi Rudy,

No, I don't run silvers and trout together...I know trout are mad (and fun to keep), well they are normally active and go crazy at tucker time...I would of thought they would of given the silvers a hard time but it does make sense if the silvers are bigger it shouldn't be a problem.

I can see what you are doing there when the water temp gets to high for the trout you will still be able to grow your silvers, plus they are slower growing then the trout.

I generally harvest my rainbows at about six moths or a bit before and they are very nice whichever way you prepare them.

Cheers.