Joey

Joey's Hybrid Gravel grow bed/Floating raft system

157 posts in this topic

Aww a little sight seeing trip cool, I am sure you will enjoy Thailand I did, when I lived there. :)

Hi

I am hoping that the rain stops soon, as a lot of Thailand is flooded and Bangkok is under threat of being flooded. If things don't improve I may be stuck in Bangkok for the duration of the holiday.

Joey

Hi Joey,

We currently have the opposite problem. While our AP systems usually run on rainwater, our tank levels are down to the point where another week of no rain will probably see us using mains water again.....till the wet season hits.

Gary

I am hoping to visit an aquaponics site in rural Thailand will let you know how that goes.

Regards

Joey

Hi Joey,

I love Thailand..great country..awesome people.

Hope the rain eases off enough for you to get out of Bangkok....whereabouts in rural Thailand do you hope to travel too?

Hi Shane

Tomorrow the 8th I will be travelling North to Khonkaen. After a few days there I am hoping to visit Good earth agriculture in Buriram. They are a small self sustaining farm who have aquaculture and aquaponics as part of their food production system.

Regards

Joey

Sounds fantastic Joey, hope you enjoy the trip.

Love to see some photos if you get the time.

Wow! that looks great Joey. love the pictures, thanks.. great job!! :)

Hi All

I have been home for just on a week now after my visit to Thailand. I am glad to have found that all my fish survived under the care of my son inlaw. Although I have had to clean out some of my grow beds as everything has run out to seed.

Attached are some pictures I took of some grow out ponds on a fish farm near khonkaen. This farm produces tilapia as well as isaan dancing schrimps. These schrimps are eaten alive spiced with fresh chilly and fish soy sauce. They also grow Banana's and green Paw Paw.

One of the locals had been out fishing and returned with a huge cat fish. This was shared by some of the locals in the village.

Cheers

Joey

post-3253-13795788913008_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788913623_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788914209_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788914796_thumb.jpg

Hi

Just a few photos to show what is happening with my system since returning from Thailand. I am currently replanting my grow beds with new plants and cleaning out old plants that have gone to seed. I still have some brocolli, chinese cabbage, lettuce in the system.

Lucky the magpie pictured is helping me clean out a grow bed. One of my mates saw him fall out of a tree onto the middle of a busy road 3 weeks ago. Half a dozen trucks and a few cars passed over him before he could be picked up. When I am in the garden I let him run around a search for food, as well as feeding him myself. I think it is a full time job. He is starting to use his wings and I am hoping he will fly soon. You can see why he is called lucky.

Regards

Joey

post-3253-13795788989379_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788990129_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788990715_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788991385_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788991971_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788992556_thumb.jpg

Last years runt fish. This little rainbow trout was part of my initial batch from last year. For the last 3 months it has lived in his own tank. Hand fed this fish is friendly eats as often as you wish to feed it but it will not grow. I have had to put it in my sump tank to make way for a new batch of trout fry I bought at the Ballarat Trout hatchery today. I ordered 50 at 60 cents each. They gave me a few spares when I got home I counted 87 fry. It will be interesting to see how the grow.

Joey

post-3253-13795789006148_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795789007151_thumb.jpg

Hi Pugo

This trout has rainbow trout colourings and for most of the year it lived amongst a group of rapidly growing brown trout. To me it showed there is not much cannibalism amongst brown trout. I asked this question today at the trout hatchery and they replied it was not unusual to get runts, these fish get beaten to the food by their siblings. Howevever my trout has been fed and still won't grow. I think it would have ended up dinner for one of the other fish if not isolated.

Regards

Joey

Great looking through your thread Joey I have not got my system underway yet, earlier in the thread you showed some grow beds that you lined with laminex sheets, I was thinking along them lines maybe perspex and wondered why it was not used more, did they work out ok for you, and were there any problems, I see you are now using the IBCs cut down.

cheers

Steve

Edited by The scruff (see edit history)

Hi The scruff

I made the original grow out of timber I already had lying around, I bought cheap laminex and made the grow beds. The grow beds are used for my DWC tanks. In time they both leaked and now have pond liner in them. The grow beds made out of cut down IBC's are a much better choice, the are tough and won't leak and are cheap.

1 IBC - I paid $50.00

2. 50 mm Treated pine sleepers for the base. 6 x $13.00 = $78.00

3. 150mm x 25mm treated pine bourds for the sides 5 x 4.8 metre lenths for the sides. = $50.00.

4. 1 box 100 mm galvanised hex drive screws (bunnings) $20.00.

I already had the legs therefore no cost.

A nice non treated trim can be added around the top.

Add the plubing cost and there you have it.

Treated pine is fine as the gravel and water is only in contact with the liner.

Regards Joey

Thanks for that Joey, thats a lot cheaper than the fiberglass ones, but I have some 8x4 sheets of 21mm ply and was trying to find a good way to line them, I can get some perspex for $73 a sheet, but from what you are saying maybe best if i sit the ibc on the plywood and just strengthen it with some sides, the ibc's are $100 over here,anyway thanks again, look forward to your updates on your progress.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve

If you use perspex you still need to glue it to the surfaces, $60 for 4 litres of glue and you probably end up putting a liner in it if it leaks.

Regards

Joey

yes your right it would end up costing more i suppose,thanks for the advice Joey, looks like the ibc's are the go

cheers Steve

Hi

A lot of the trout fry introduced into the system last week started dying yesterday, so far about 25 have died. The existing trout and the silver perch are all doing fine. The water temperature is 19 degrees. The dead fish have no skin problems and look healthy. The water tests show the following.

Ph = 7

Ammonia = 0.25

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 2.5

Fry were eating well and appeared to be gaining weight.

Joey

Their air supply is the same as the silver p

Hi

The trout fry deaths seems to have settled down no further deaths since last week. However I have decided to start reducing my stock of larger fish. I took out two for dinner tonight.

Joey

post-3253-1379578909904_thumb.jpg

Thanks Shane

I cooked them for lunch this afternoon, seasoned with some penang curry paste, corriander and thai mint. 20 minutes in the BBQ.

Also green paw paw salad and rocket leaves.

Regards

Joey

post-3253-13795789099779_thumb.jpg

Rocket Leaves ??? OK, that is a new one for me.. Can anyone elaborate on this?