Joey

Joey's Hybrid Gravel grow bed/Floating raft system

157 posts in this topic

OK great,

I know what you mean regarding current water temps in Melbourne, my tanks were down to 10 Deg.C late last night.

Cheers,

Shane.

Some photos showing the progress of my recirculating aqua culture system. This system can run integrated into my existing aquaponics system or be run as stand alone. The Swirl filter and Settlement tank have a false concrete bottom which enable these tanks to be drained 100% for removal of waste if required. The waste water is for use in our dirt vegetable garden behind the shed.

Regard

Joey

post-3253-13795788252386_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788253107_thumb.jpg

Hi Joey,

Well you've certainly got a lot more room to play with in your garage, than I do for my small stand alone system in my small gardenshed.

Your plumbing skills are much neater than mine also !

What do you estimate the total amount of litres the system will be when up & running?

Once the Trout into the new system, do you intend to put some different fish into their old tank?

Cheers,

Shane.

What do you estimate the total amount of litres the system will be when up & running?

Forget about that question....I see you've explained it earlier.

Hi Shane

My plumbing skills are not that great. The Swirl filter tank has a small leak. This tank was made from the top half of a cheap water tank from bunnings $40.00 for two halves. The bottom half is fine as it is simply a water tank. The top half has a large hole for the leaf catcher water inlet. I blocked this up with plastic and sika flex then added a layer of concrete to enable the tank to fully drain. However it leaks I need to fix this leak before I complete the system. I am thinking of painting the bottom with a clear pond food grade paint paint, however if this fails I will need to pull the whole thing apart and redo that part of the job. If anyone is aware of a good paint on underwater rated sealer that is food please recommend.

The uniseals I have used are great and have saved me a lot of money as against using tank fittings. I found out about them on this forum and bought them from Crusty.

Also once the system is finished and the trout are in I will probably relocate the existing trout tank into this system as a fingerling tank. The spot then vacated in the green house will provide space for another grow bed.

Regards

joey

I found out about uniseals

is your pump going in the ft? if not, and that's an overflow in the center of your ft, you want a t at the top, not a 90

Thanks Keith_r

The pump will be installed into the sump tank. Water will be pumped into the flat Bio Filter tanks above then be returned to the fish tank. The elbow at the end of the outlet pipe is not glued on and will be replaced with a T fitting and a stand pipe.

Regards

Joey

post-3253-13795788327875_thumb.jpgNot plate size yet. These 2 jumped out of the tank last night through a small gap in the material covering the tank. It is a shame to lose fish at this stage for something like that. Lesson learnt - Ensure the tank is covered 100% at all times.

Look like pan fryers to me.. anything after 6 inches for a trout is good eating in my book. :-)

The new RAS is finally up and running. I had a few issues to resolve like leaks in the 90mm plastic tank outlets joining the flat bio filter, as well as a leak in the bottom of the swirl filter which I made out of the top half of a water tank by blocking the 300mm round hole.

I also had issues with the flow of water through the filters which I had to address by raising the edges of the fish tank.

Attached are a few photos of the completed system as well as a photo how the Laundry basket was strengthened with a piece of stainless. The small bolts hold basket off the concrete base in the two filter tanks to allow them to be hosed out for cleaning.

Regards All

Joey

post-3253-13795788599536_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788600202_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788600956_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788601515_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788602268_thumb.jpg

Looks like all is well with the world.. it has been a while, been to busy growing out the trout or what?

Yes Pugo

I had a few problems with leaks so I just left it sit for a while, I guess I was just being lazy. In the end the trout were in a temporary small tank and were growing fast so I had to do something.

I am now adding another grow bed in the polytunnel and will start a project to get the silvers in the sump tank into a Chop system. This way I will have no pumps located in a fish tank.

Regards

Joey

Yeah, No Pump in the fish tank is really good thing in my book. I have everything compartmentalized in my system so I can stop the system and work on any one problem without disrupting the entire system. I can cut off the growbeds and just run the system as an aquaculture system without any problems.

Hi Pugo

Yes being able to isolate the grow beds is a great feature, especially if you need to do some salt treatments.

Regards

Joey.

Hi

After running the system for just over a week I noticed a sheet of solids floating in the Swirl filter. These solids originally formed on the bottom of the filter however after some time they start to float.

Enclosed are some photos showing the solids captured and how I clean the filters.

Cheers

Joey

post-3253-13795788627707_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788631945_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788633029_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788633864_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788634701_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788635537_thumb.jpg

Further progress

The system recently had an extra grow bed added, it is already showing good growth on the lettuce.

I am also currently building another new grow bed using treated pine and an IBC tank as a liner.

Joey

post-3253-13795788696252_thumb.jpg

post-3253-13795788696927_thumb.jpg

Great video Joey.. you are right it was short ..LOL to hot for trout here in Asia but I do miss eating them..

Hi Joey. They look great. Does treated pine have arsenic in it?

Further progress

The system recently had an extra grow bed added, it is already showing good growth on the lettuce.

I am also currently building another new grow bed using treated pine and an IBC tank as a liner.

Joey

Hi earthan group

Yes the treated pine would have arsenic however the IBC liner prevents contact with the gravel and water. A non treated cypris pine trim around the top of the grow beds prevents direct contact of plants with the treated pine.

IBC's seem to have come down in price due to the breaking of the drought and are now available in Narre Warren for $55.00. To build this grow bed costs $180.00 for a 200 cm x 2150 grow bed. As the stand is built as part of the grow this price includes price of the stand as well. The price does not include plumbing. All timber and galvanised fixing screws was purchased at the B store. The base is built from treated pine 50mm sleepers, the sides are made from 150mm X 25mm plinth board. The screws are 4 inch galvanised counter sunk head self drilling screws fitted with a hex drive head.

Joey

Hi

I am currently in Thailand. I have left my system in Australia in the hands of my son in law and I am hoping all is well when I get back. While I am in Thailand I am hoping to visit an aquaponics site in rural Thailand will let you know how that goes.

Regards

Joey