5 posts in this topic

In New Zealand it seems that the only fish we can keep in an aquaponics system is goldfish, unless we start cutting through rolls of red tape. As a home enthusiast I don't think its worth the effort. In aquaponics you grow fish to eat, in bunnyponics you grow rabbits to eat or sell but the main product for me is their poop.

I have been doing some experimenting lately with rabbit poop and throw this idea into the forum to get some feedback and guidance from those people wiser than me.

I have read that rabbit poop is one of the best natural composts that can be put straight onto a garden without composting and it is rich in NPK. My system is based on a combination of three ideas - Global buckets (earth box variation), wicking system and hydroponics. The nutrient is nothing but rabbit poop suspended in water in a bucket with holes in it..

At the moment I am watering this nutrient through the filler tubes by hand till it flows out of the overflow holes drilled 50mm up from the bottom of the bucket. My next goal is to pump the nutrient through the filler tubes and as it flows out of the overflow holes it will flow into an NTF system where I will be growing lettuce, watercress etc.

At the moment the results are pleasing as shown in the photo. I change the rabbit poop about once a week and put the old stuff in my worm farm. My media is a mixture of perlite, coir, compost and worm casting.

I would appreciate any advice or guidance to help me with this experiment.

aimy likes this

Hi Ceefa,

mornings has experimented widely with rabbit manure in his vermiponics set up. I suggest that you read these threads.....here....and here.

The worms are an important part of the integration. Unlike your system, however, mornings uses the worms to mineralise the rabbit manure to release the nutrients first........where yours (if I understand it correctly) extracts the nutrients by soaking the manure and gives the residual sludge to the worms.

Keep us posted on your results. By the way, don't rule out goldfish as the nutrient source for your growing system. They are cheap, hardy and produce copious quantities of poop.

Are you not able to keep trout in NZ?

I see some real advantages using rabbits instead of fish. FIsh take 6 months to a year to grow out, and some more than that. Rabbits grow out in much shorter time I believe. I never raised rabbits, but thought about it. THe missus was not amicable to the idea of eathing "thumper".

Hi Ceefa:

I have a rabbit. I like your idea. to use bunny poop to grow lettuce. I was wondering if you can help me. I have a hydroponic system that is set up to grow lettuce. Can I put bunny poop tea into the water ? 

Thank you.

Hi aimy

Welcome to APN/HQ

Ceefa haven't checked in, in a few years so I wouldn't expect a respons from him any time soon.

Hopefully some other rabbit keeping members can give you their take on the Q. 

Meanwhile , I found this doc./info on rabbit poo tea here : https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/03/31/the-benefits-and-uses-of-rabbit-manure/ quote:

Manure Tea – “Bunny Brew” – Rabbit manure tea is the colored water that manure has been steeped in and is full of nutrients making a concentrated liquid organic garden fertilizer! The nutrients from the manure dissolve easily into the water were it can be added to sprayers or watering cans. To make the tea, put a heaping shovel full of rabbit manure in a burlap bag or porous cloth with the four corners tied together. Put the bag in a 5 gallon bucket and fill with water. Allow it to seep in the warm sunshine for a week. Remove the bag and suspend it above the bucket until it stops dripping. You can speed up the process by putting manure directly into the bucket with the water and let it sit for 3 days, stirring daily. Then put some burlap over the top of another empty bucket (making a strainer) and pour thru the cloth to strain out the solids. Suspend the solids in the makeshift strainer above the bucket until it stops dripping. In both processes the solids will not have released all their nutrients to the tea, and they will still be a beneficial soil amendment (put into the garden or compost pile). If you have many plants, you may want to use a big barrel by using the ratio of 1 part manure to 5 parts water. To use the Tea, dilute it until it is about the color of kitchen tea, which should be about one cup of the concentrated manure tea to a gallon of water. Use it to dip every new plant before you transplant them. Dip only the root ball, until bubbles stop coming to the surface (also do this to trees and shrubs before transplanting). Also wet furrows before planting, and fill holes with it before you plant trees or shrubs. Wait until it is all absorbed into the soil allowing all the nutrients to permeate the nearby soil of the plant you are planting. Making and using manure tea is a great way to give your garden crops the extra boost they need for optimal health and growth. Give once a week as a fertilizer and throw out your miracle grow! Experience will tell how often to use and how much. Now that you know how to make bunny brew, you can use it all the time to give your plants that extra boost!