craigb

Growing Rice

22 posts in this topic

Has any one tried growing rice?

I would imagine it would grow well in the grow beds as it needs plenty of water. I'm not sure though on the quantities it would produce if it would be worth it for food or just to do as a curious experiment?

NilliamSuby likes this

Hi Craig,

I have not heard of anyone growing rice in aquaponics. As you say, it would probably work, but not worth the trouble.

A common crop by hydro growers is wheat grass.

Wheat grass is said to possess health benefits. Maybe rice grass could be grown for similar reasons.

the idea of growing rice is far more practical than the small grower practice.... seems as if it consumes a lot of space for what it produces?

NilliamSuby likes this

could you keep us posted helo?... I am interested also.. but was led to believe it does not produce much for the space consumed.

could you keep us posted helo?... I am interested also.. but was led to believe it does not produce much for the space consumed.

Will do, but it probably won't happen till spring, and it is just now fall here. I have a few friends that are rice farmers, and they are going to help me learn about it.

Will do, but it probably won't happen till spring.

I've subscribed to this thread to see what happens as well. Very curious to see how this goes as we eat a lot of rice here and although its very cheap to purchase in large quantities cheaply for self sufficiency reasons i'm looking forward to seeing your results.

I looked at rice - it should grow well in a GB, particularly if you keep in mind rice paddies when designing the GB for it. What I BOUGHT was Quinoa. Looking at requirements and limitations I am fairly sure it can be grown in a GB or a wicking bed at much better densities than for open field - and it seems almost designed for AP in spite of the cautions about 'container growing.'

Add in the protein content and one wonders why we grow other grains at all.

its amazing the amount of "green leaf" compared to the "rice" grains we eat. Anyone know what you can do with the rest of the plant?

Hi Dean,

Rice straw can be incorporated into livestock diets and is great mulch.

Luke, I've grown amaranth before and it's much under-rated in my view. Both the grain and the leaves are edible.

Gary

yes i am looking at all the bio-mass from the rice with much enthusiasm as to uses, think it is also a testimony to he hard work of the fish providing nutrient as i have not added any thing else to the ponds just the original clay, which is unlike normal rice growing where they add Ammonia sulfides twice a month.

we have been growing Amaranth conventionally for a few years now Gary, and agree with you we use it a lot and think it vey high in nutrition. i must say we have had exceptional amaranth growth in my system this year, so very exited.

and if anyone is interested in what the root system of rice looks like, i grew some in a floating raft

post-7452-13795791234626_thumb.jpg

Any conclusions on which way (raft or conventional) worked better yet?

Hi Scott,

Raft is really not an option. it would seem the best way is to create raised beds (i used plastic crates) with a medium planting density (15-18cm apart). i am still to harvest and will then weigh yields. having the beds raised meant i could have the Tilapia in from the start, has made all the difference.

regards luke

AjayiAquaponics likes this

post-7452-13795791341533_thumb.jpg

root growth in crates, very interesting. one seed ends up sending up to a dozen stems, not unlike bamboo.

definitely need to space our seedlings more, get the sunlight in there.

need to find another grow bed solution that roots can grow through medium into water sides and bottom... thinking, thinking!

AjayiAquaponics likes this

On 4/6/2013 at 8:58 PM, lukeboshier said:

Hi Scott,

Raft is really not an option. it would seem the best way is to create raised beds (i used plastic crates) with a medium planting density (15-18cm apart). i am still to harvest and will then weigh yields. having the beds raised meant i could have the Tilapia in from the start, has made all the difference.

regards luke

Really Interested in this Post... I realize I'm really late to the thread but if anyone is still experimenting with this... I'd love some feedback. Thank you in advance for any information shared.