bart

hydro recipies

does anyone have any diy hydro formulas to mix your own

pre mixed store hydro can be expensive and i have seen recipes in America on the net i would like to start a thread on what members have used and what works i have some of my own using sea sol/power feed and us mixes but as i only have a small trial h/p system running along with the a/p system i cannot give results very quickly all members with any sugestions welcome to submit to futher the knowllege base also formulas to keep a/p systems running b/w old and new fish stocks

I have been using the following “homemade†recipe for hydroponic lettuces for the past two years using the following ingredients; Calcium nitrate, magnesium sulfate, potassium nitrate, triple super phosphate, ammonium sulfate, iron sulfate, boric acid, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, and sodium molybdate. My system operates similar to that of a raft culture system in that the roots are constantly submerged. Set up is 2†holes in 3†diameter pvc pipe. Pipes operate at ¾ to 7/8 full. Water within pipes have strong flow and is oxygenated.

I set up 4 buckets with lids to serve as “stock solutionâ€. The triple super phosphate is not completely soluble (about 70%). It goes into its own bucket for this reason. Non-soluble portion settles to bottom.

Bucket one (P): 10 liters water and 300 grams triple super phosphate

Bucket two (sulfates): 10 liters water, 500 grams MgSO4(7H2O), 75 grams ammonium sulfate, and 40 grams iron sulfate.

Bucket 3 (NK): 10 liters water, 1000 grams calcium nitrate (4H2O) and 400 grams potassium nitrate

Bucket 4 (traces): 10 liters water, 4 grams zinc sulfate, 3 grams manganese sulfate, and 2 grams copper sulfate, 5 grams boric acid, 2 grams sodium molybdate

Equal amounts of each stock solution are added to water at a 1:100 ratio. Thus the four buckets above will make about 1 cubic meter (264 gallons) of hydroponic solution. I operate EC about 2000 in cool weather and about 1500 in warmer weather. I have also been using it for basil, but I keep EC higher than for the lettuces. I also have to add phosphoric acid (PH down) periodically to maintain PH of about 5.5 to 6.5 (mostly when evaporation/transpiration rates are high and water is being added to replace.) My well water has a pH of about 7.7.

It is not so easy to prepare a perfect hydro recipe by your self. I had tried one but it was a big massed up. I had used potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate, magnesium sulfate, ammonium sulfate , triple super phosphate but i think i lack something here.

Hi,

Most hydroponic gardening clubs handle bulk nutrient mixes on behalf of their members.....and I've encountered several of the more serious amateurs who also mixed their own nutrients.

It's a lot cheaper doing it that way......and you get a mix which will work.

Gary

Hi Russellspringsfarm,

I have been using the following “homemade” recipe for hydroponic lettuces for the past two years using the following ingredients;

• Calcium nitrate,
  • magnesium sulfate,
  • potassium nitrate,
  • triple super phosphate,
  • ammonium sulfate,
  • iron sulfate,
  • boric acid,
  • zinc sulfate,
  • manganese sulfate,
  • copper sulfate,
  • sodium molybdate.

My system operates similar to that of a raft culture system in that the roots are constantly submerged. Set up is 2” holes in 3” diameter pvc pipe. Pipes operate at ¾ to 7/8 full. Water within pipes have strong flow and is oxygenated.

I set up 4 buckets with lids to serve as “stock solution”. The triple super phosphate is not completely soluble (about 70%). It goes into its own bucket for this reason. Non-soluble portion settles to bottom.

1. Bucket one (P): 10 liters water and 300 grams triple super phosphate
  2. Bucket two (sulfates): 10 liters water, 500 grams MgSO4(7H2O), 75 grams ammonium sulfate, and 40 grams iron sulfate.
  3. Bucket 3 (NK): 10 liters water, 1000 grams calcium nitrate (4H2O) and 400 grams potassium nitrate
  4. Bucket 4 (traces): 10 liters water, 4 grams zinc sulfate, 3 grams manganese sulfate, and 2 grams copper sulfate, 5 grams boric acid, 2 grams sodium molybdate

Equal amounts of each stock solution are added to water at a 1:100 ratio.

Thus the four buckets above will make about 1 cubic meter (264 gallons) of hydroponic solution. I operate EC about 2000 in cool weather and about 1500 in warmer weather. I have also been using it for basil, but I keep EC higher than for the lettuces. I also have to add phosphoric acid (PH down) periodically to maintain PH of about 5.5 to 6.5 (mostly when evaporation/transpiration rates are high and water is being added to replace.) My well water has a pH of about 7.7.

Fantastic post, thank you for taking the time to share.

Regards

Paul

Brandylorton,

You might try contacting Southern Ag. They make a basic hydro recipe that many use. You can tweak it from there as most of the major differences are two -- The nitrogen source, then the minor element balance. Take their formula, then mix your minor elements as you want them.

Hi:)

Sorry if this is reopening a closed thread. I'm not sure if you prefer to diy for cost or knowledge reasons i.e. know what is going into your food. If for costs (and a good overall no-nonsense formula), I used to get my hydro nutrient mix from boxsell:

http://www.boxsellhydroponics.com.au/AboutUs.html

It's not advertised on their website and it's been a while, so hopefully they still provide the product, as I am just about to embark on a new system and will need some.:) Last time I purchased from them it cost $45 for a powder mix that made 20L of both Part A and B solution. With their solution, the Part A and B are added at the same time (about 3 minutes after each other once thoroughly mixed), rather than at different stages of the plant's life. I have found that their mixture worked very well with herbs, lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes (all at slightly different EC levels) and seem to go along way.

Hope this helps

gav:)

Hi Gav,

I heard recently that Boxsell Hydroponics was under new ownership.....so it's unclear as to what they do at the moment. I know someone who is close to the family so I'll attempt to learn more.

Gary