Sign in to follow this  
Murray

Trout

Was that 30C water temp or air temp for the period? I am in Geelong with a 6000lt system. During that hot period, my system water sat between 26-28C.

With your pool being inground (I presume) your water temps would have been much more moderate, around mid 20s. I agree that oxygen in the water is key, covers a lot of faults. Your low stocking density would have helped survival too.

30C was water temperature if the old swimming pool floating thermometer is accurate. The pool get full sun most of the time. I also turn over the water a lot (have a 16,000LPH and a 11,000LPH pumps running all the time).

They were smaller last summer (approx 20 - 25 cms).

They are suffering from warm water this summer.

The one I caught few days ago was a little bit disorientated (swimming slowly at the shallow end of pool. Water is probably only around 30 - 35 cms deep).

Caught another tonight. Again swimming slowly at the shallow end.

This one is bigger than the previous one. It is around 55cms long.

I am no expert in rainbow trout. The flesh of this one is a lot paler compared to the previous one. Wonder why? Also, it has lots of blood clot along the spine.

I am also wondering why do they swim at the shallow end whenever they are "disorientated"?

wey2go, just read this thread again.

As you have no growing system attached to the pool, there has been a gradual build up of ammonia over the past 12 months. This is lethal to fish in reasonably small concentrations and shows itself as blood clots on the skin, like you mentioned.

In aquaponics, the bacteria in our growbeds do the ammonia conversion thing for us and the plants use the nitrate as I am sure you know. All good for fishies and plants.

Your trout will die unless you harvest them, so fire up the bbq and invite the neighbours over. Do it soon, your trout are suffering.

aussieap, I have checked Ammonia level yesterday and today with a test strip. Level is zero, or the colour of test strip did not change both times.

The blood clot I mentioned is not under the skin. It is along the spine (back bone). Can only see the clot after I remove the gut of the fish.

I do not have test strips to measure other water parameters.

I have gold fish and silver perch as well. They are all feeding very well.

Water clarity is quite good. Water colour is tea colour (I suspect due to the barley hay I introduced few months ago). No hair algae problem as in Aug/Sep where I had very thick hair algae growing along the wall of the pool. I kept pulling them out every week or so back then. Hardly any growth for me to pull now.

Interesting observation the past few weeks. With the water warming up, I noticed that I get mucous-like coating on surface material where water flow is quite fast (eg near the exit pipes from the biological filter to the pond).

True, I do not have grow beds. Currently only have about 10 pots water lilies, a few cutting of geraniums, a handful of duck-weed, a handful of azolla and one milfoil. Of these, water lilies have grown the longest. My need to start growing some more plants tolerant to salt water.

I have also been following some threads among Koi enthusiasts. It was mentioned and shown that trickle filter does reduce nitrate level.

Hi, if your ammo is registering zero, it could be an oxygen issue. Trout require very high levels of oxygen in the water, much more so than silvers or goldies. The higher the water temp, the lower the DO, but you prolly know this. Something is not quite right and trout are the canaries in your situation.

I hope things pan out ok.

The other thing of course is that is where the heart of a fish is located. What you thought was a clot may in fact be the heart. The disoriented swimming would be related to temp/Do levels tho. Just about bet my bottom dollar.

G'day wey2go,just reading about the blood clot you described and was wondering if you bled your fish prior to filleting or gutting,if you did'nt the blood will always be present along the backbone,a poorly bled fish will always show a lot of blood along the back bone,any way just a thought from me.

bye Brett

Interesting observation the past few weeks. With the water warming up, I noticed that I get mucous-like coating on surface material where water flow is quite fast (eg near the exit pipes from the biological filter to the pond).

If i remember right this is excess slime coating from your fish. I get it with my goldfish if the circulation isn't right.

Brett'o: You must be correct. Blood was all over the place with the previous trouts but the last one, everything seem to be bloodless and then I found clot all along the backbone. Need to learn how to bleed the fish properly.

Jason: The mucous like layer looks like some kind of "milky coloured" moss. It is not on any fish but surface near running water.

Jason: The mucous like layer looks like some kind of "milky coloured" moss. It is not on any fish but surface near running water.

That may be the slime coating. Most fish especially goldfish exude a coating to help keep themselves healthy. Over tome this coating will begin to collect where it is drawn through the water. Cleared off it probably resembles some really runny snot boogies. Sounds to me like a healthy system, just may need some cleaning of parts and a little water change.

Hi vwey2go,

I beleive the 'blood clot' along the back bone is actually the kidneys of the fish. Every fish I've caught, speared or netted have had it. Trout don't really have that much blood, in so much as they don't need to be bleed immediately after capture like some fish i.e aust salmon etc.

My 2 cents

Wolf

Wey2go,as wolf suggested it could may well be the kidneys you are looking at,when you gut your fish the kidneys are visible inside the gut cavity along the backbone if this isnt what you saw then it would be your bleeding process,everything that has blood bleeds and if not done properly will definately effect the eating quality of whatever you are going to consume.Regardless of how much blood is percieved to be in any said fish you are 100 percent better off to give a quick kill to reduce the amount of stress that the fish has to endure,more stress means more lactic acid is released which means not only will your fish be tainted by blood the flesh will be an inferior quality than a quick killed fish,so i say let's bleed them and it's happy day's for all round,good luck and good eating.

all the best Brett'o

Had an interesting chat w a commercial barra producer here in Geelong today. He was talking about a mate of his who was doing trout and got concerned when the water temp got up to 22C. So he bumps up the air to the max, keeps feeding and hey presto, at the end of the season, his trout are 6 months ahead of where they should be growth wise. Apparently he still can't believe it!

The guy I was chatting to produces 40-50 ton/yr barra at 800g each. He is busting to front end his system w an aquaponic setup. Hello sailor. He had some bad system construction advice and the inevitable power failure wiping out 26 ton of fish (back ups dummy), so has no serious coin atm. Muzz, if ya listening, we need to get this guy over the line w some of those bewdiful raft tanks. Get Gary to call me, he has been awol.

Caught the last of my trout from my pool last night. This one is the smallest and yet has the most eggs. Approx. 48 cms in length.

The silvers have free roam in the pool now. :)

Yea my trout water is 24.5 atm but theres 2 large air stones going in there they seem happy theres 10 air stones in the system and everything seems to be going ok last years silvers are 4 to 5 in long now silver water 26 atm

Had an interesting chat w a commercial barra producer here in Geelong today. He was talking about a mate of his who was doing trout and got concerned when the water temp got up to 22C. So he bumps up the air to the max, keeps feeding and hey presto, at the end of the season, his trout are 6 months ahead of where they should be growth wise. Apparently he still can't believe it!

The guy I was chatting to produces 40-50 ton/yr barra at 800g each. He is busting to front end his system w an aquaponic setup. Hello sailor. He had some bad system construction advice and the inevitable power failure wiping out 26 ton of fish (back ups dummy), so has no serious coin atm. Muzz, if ya listening, we need to get this guy over the line w some of those bewdiful raft tanks. Get Gary to call me, he has been awol.

Hi can you find more info about the trout man [ie what temp did he get to how big a system ect ] all info would be most welcome

Made the call FF. My understanding is it was all about the air. Water qlty was pristine and stocking densities not particularly high.

I couldn't clarify where they came from, but for eg the trout at Ballarat have a higher temp tolerance than the trout at Snob's Creek. That is bc of the 100 years of breeding under local conditions, bit tougher.

That's about all I got.

Yea my trout water is 24.5 atm but theres 2 large air stones going in there they seem happy theres 10 air stones in the system and everything seems to be going ok last years silvers are 4 to 5 in long now silver water 26 atm

Hey FF, I know this is probably a tired question, but a tank of 3500 litres stocking about 100 trout at any one time, and growing out to 1kg, what would you recommend for air pumps i.e. lpm, and size / number of air stones.

I'm a little confused right now.. I've posted this question on another area also, but I know you have a lot of experience with rainbow trout. :cool:

Cheers

Tony

They have close to a 1:1 Ratio, so 1kg of food will get up to 1kg of fish growth.

Personally - only get 50 Trout for starters - sort your system out first. Get the other fish once the system has established.

Would you believe I am finally getting my 3 x 630L growbeds delivered.?!

The 4500L tank has been dug into the ground for nearly 12 months. There were massive delays (i.e. 11 months) with the glass house and this has been the hold up.

So, OBO we stock with 50 trout first, get the system running and then later pop in another 50.

I am now thinking 100 trout at any one time will be absolutely plenty. How do these calculations sound.?

For the life of me I cannot remember the fish / growbed / water ratios. :confused:

Cheers

T

Finally, I pick up the first 50-60 Fingerlings tomorrow.

It took nearly 12 months for the glass house to arrive..

The plants and system has been cycling for five weeks and there has been some impressive growth so far..

A few pics are attached. I need to take some recent ones of how much everything has grown though..

:)

That's a sweet-looking set up. What capacity is your tank? Gary

Thanks Gary.. :) The tank is a 4500lt job, but I have set the overflow so that it drains at a maximum of 3500lt

Would you believe we have atlantic salmon instead of trout.?! We're on our way home with them now on the back seat of the car.. We got given 80 fingerlings. About 10cm in length each one... So we're driving against a 'dissolved oxygen' time frame.. :cool: