Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Murray

A very tidy Homestead Kit setup.

11 posts in this topic

A newly installed Homestead Kit in a carport.

The roof of the carport is roofing iron over the fish tank to keep direct sunlight off the fish.

The rest of the roof is clear plastic roofing sheets to allow good light onto the plants.

Later bug cloth roll up walls, or clear greenhouse plastic walls can be added.

A very tidy and practical installation.

HsKit1.jpg

Hi Murray

Is it possible to get some pictures of the setup - especially the carport? Also, would it be possible to get approx costs for the carport? Lastly, any info on where the carport was purchased from, dimensions or building materials would be excellent.

Thanks heaps

gav

Gavinl,

John of Cleveland sent this info into me via email (we have a lot of folk who regularly visit the site but do not join or post.)

The carport is a double gable roof ABSCO 6x6x2.5 w41 rating. The cost at Bunnings was $2875. For more details on the carport just go to the ABSCO site at http://www.absco.com.au/ . I used about 1500 screws on the carport, most of them going into the trusses which come in pieces and need to assembled. I also used 10 sheets of Laserlite which costs $375.

I plan to use the unused metal roofing sheets on their sides as parts of the walls starting at the bottom.Just one sheet high. Then use some kind of bug proof material for the rest of the walls. I'm working it out as I go. I will need to put up some extra post at the 3 m mark, maybe coppers logs or hardwood. So still some money to spend yet.

I have attached the latest photo, This morning I put some drainage gravel on the floor with big pavers sitting over the drain pipes in case I need to get to them easily for any reason. You will also notice the black 19mm (which caused my problem with the sump pump) going into the header tank in the previous photo is no longer there. I have it clamped on to the side of the main tank until I get it changed over to the 25mm.

I hope this helps gavinl. If he lives in the area he could come and have a look.

Regards

John

HsKit2.jpg

Thanks heaps John and Murray - much appreciated.

It is a great shed and aquaponics system. I live up north, so am a bit far away to have a look, but thanks for the offer.

All the best

gav:)

That is a very nice system. I would like to have that at my place.

What kind of fish are you growing ?

I don't know off hand how AU and US dollars convert but the prices is the posts give me heartburn. Carports here are $695. installed, 55 gallon plastic barrels are $3 to $5. for former bleach barrels. I guess it is all relative.

I thought things were high here.

EdH

We don't have cheap labour from across the border here in Aussie, also our buildings must all be cyclone (hurricane) rated, and we have been going through a decade of prosperity and a very strong economy.

Perhaps these factors may explain a little of the differences in price.

I understand, while we on a personal basis fight the illegal immigration (cheap labor) the government encourages it for big biz. It is certainly true that we have few requirements for construction of un-occupied structures and such as the carportis fabricated quick & dirty tho I'll say it has 4 vetrical & roof supports on a 24' structure & seems fairly strong due to design & materials.

Our economy is crazy for a fact. everything is great for some & no good for others. I am still in shock but power to ya.

EdH

Hi EdH and Murray,

.....and at other times we just get screwed by the multinationals because our Governments are too weak (or self-interested) to counter them.

Oil is a good example. In Australia, we pay far more for our fuel than they do in the US. Why? The price of fuel can't be explained away by cheap labour or any of the other quaint reasons offered up by the oil companies and their mealy-mouthed, revenue-hungry political apologists......it's because in the US, the buying public would go berserk if their government allowed fuel prices to get anywhere near ours. Australians, by contrast, seem more willing to just blindly accept the notion that there's nothing that they can do about it.....and they pay the price.

GaryD

Yes, our dependence on oil is one that gets me going.....decades of weak GOV's both State and Fed. You would think blind freddie could see the trouble just around the corner ....Oil is now OVER 100.00 a Barrel .....anyway, these last few posts should be moved to another thread......I'll move them later.....

Sorry, I got off the subject. I came to the forum to learn about aquaponics. I think you guys are ahead in that respect and I hope to learn all I can. Can't do much about the other anyway.

Thanks for your patience. It is a very tidy setup.

EdH