GaryD

Black Soldier Fly Larvae

On the contrary Ken, farm caught rabbits are very good if one knows what they are doing…loosing that musty wild taste. Simple freezing the rabbit for at least three months somehow looses that taste.

I agree with the cuts back legs, front and rib carcass (the best bit) cut into two or more pieces is good. I just cooked some rabbit last weekend coated in tandoori chicken spice and deep fried cooked to perfection.

If it wasn’t for the humble rabbit there would have been a lot of dead people due to starvation during the war and depression years and where I live is no acceptation.

A question I have never seen BSF in my area if I set up a system would they come from nowhere or do I need to stock such a system with flies or am I running on empty anyway?

BSF appear to have been imported into Australia from the U.S. as a result of troop stationing in WWII. While they have spread along the east coast where climatic conditions are suitable it's quite likely that they never made it to the west.

Hi JD,

I'd be surprised if you haven't already come across BSF.....they are widely distributed throughout the world.....and given the availability of manure heaps and dead animal carcases on farms, I'd have thought they'd be well established.

If you don't have one already, set up a compost bin and begin to load it with your kitchen scraps. Locate it under a tree or other shady spot.

When the scraps in the bin suddenly go black, and the heap begins to subside, there's a high probability that BSF are present.

Gary

Hi,

...farm caught rabbits are very good if one knows what they are doing…

Yes, they can be good meat in the hands of a proficient cook but they will never be quite as good as farmed rabbit.

You can make good use of the whole carcase of a rabbit in the same dish if you understand that the front and back legs.....and the saddle.....require slightly different treatment. The legs can be browned or cooked whole as you would do with chicken.

The saddle needs to be boned out and sliced into cutlets about 20mm thick. These are gently fried until almost cooked. They can then be used (along with the legs) in virtually any rabbit dish.

If you attempt to cook the saddle on the bone, it will invariably dry out and go tough.

Gary

I have a quick question to all the BSF ranchers out there icon_smile.gif I'm thinking of setting up a system in Ballarat, Vic. Now, from everything I've read people have been having less that ideal results in cold climate area's. I mean, it's just ****** snowed here ffs! Has anyone had any success in Ballarat or an area with a similar climate? If so what did you do to ensure a successful harvest?

I am noticing more BF activity as the weather gets warmer. You might find that you only get BSF in spring through to the end of summer.

A month or two ago I introduced 1000 compost worms to my BioPod system that seem to be living in harmony with the BSFL.

Adding composting worms might give you the ability to keep the system going year round.

The worms seem to be helping my system in that the BSFL seem to be happy to eat fresh kitchen waste - and then the worms eat what the BSFL leave behind.

The result seems to be more pure compost at the bottom of the system rater than decaying food scraps.

I know some people run a worm farm seperate to the BSFL system - but combining them seems to be working ok for me at the moment.

Will see how we go coming into the warmer months.

Interesting putting worms in the bio pod.

When I got mine the guy said that maggots could be a problem at first but once the BSF take over they will also eat the maggots as well keeping the pod "clean"

I have both maggots and BSF. The maggots seem to appear over the day with few if any BSF at days end. However overnight the BSF come out in numbers and represent a hearty breakfast for my fish.

You may have just provided your BSF with some live protien once they become more plentiful as the weather warms?

You may have just provided your BSF with some live protien once they become more plentiful as the weather warms?

Quite possibly - time will tell. Even if that is the case it may still be a way to keep the BioPod going over winter. Add worms as winter aproaches so you can keep feeding the BioPod all year.

Hi Kenour,

It will get warmer......even Ballarat has a summer. When it does, the answer is to grow enough BSF (and to freeze them) so that you have a year round supply.

Gary

[even ballarat has a summer ] you have never been to ballarat normally its the coldest place in victoria:D

I am noticing more BF activity as the weather gets warmer. You might find that you only get BSF in spring through to the end of summer.

A month or two ago I introduced 1000 compost worms to my BioPod system that seem to be living in harmony with the BSFL.

Adding composting worms might give you the ability to keep the system going year round.

The worms seem to be helping my system in that the BSFL seem to be happy to eat fresh kitchen waste - and then the worms eat what the BSFL leave behind.

The result seems to be more pure compost at the bottom of the system rater than decaying food scraps.

I know some people run a worm farm seperate to the BSFL system - but combining them seems to be working ok for me at the moment.

Will see how we go coming into the warmer months.

Excellent mate, I was reading your posts with great interest, glad to see it's working for you :) For us poor sods in cold climate area's it seems we have to come up with different solutions to the people in warmer climates!

That sounds like a winner to me mate, now I just have to build/buy something to grow them in :)

G'day Hamish,I'm sorry but my computer skills fall a bit short on that one as yet.I just typed black soldier fly into the search box on you tube and up she came,no sound or comments to read but lots of BSFL.Also mate i'm not sure if i fully understood what you meant about the autosyphon regarding my grow bed drains and water backing up ,could you please help me out with that one. ON YA

i'm not sure if i fully understood what you meant about the autosyphon regarding my grow bed drains and water backing up ' date='could you please help me out with that one. ON YA[/quote']

I was just going off my own experience - 2 of my grow beds empty via auto siphon into 2 x 90mm pipes. This 90mm pipe is then restricted down at the end to a smaller diameter where it connects to the tank.

My pipe is not sealed as I am using the pipe to grow plants in. All is fine when 1 grow bed flushes - but if they both flush at the same time then I sometimes get a little overflow out the grow holes as the water backs up in the pipe.

I could solve this by removing the restriction at the end of the pipe so the water runs into the tank quicker. Or I could add a 3rd grow pipe so the water is spread across a greater volume - thus allowing it to run away in its own time without overflowing. Have a look at my thread - the photos might help explain.

If you have sealed all your connections everywhere and no grow holes then you wont have the same problem that I did so no worries.

Hi,

When I took a look inside my BioPod this afternoon, things were on the boil.......BSF larvae everywhere.

I've been getting a small daily harvest for the past week or so but it looks like things are on the increase. Good....it's time to replenish the frozen stocks.

I've got the BioPod set up in our layer chicken yard. Whenever I go near it the girls all gather around because they know what's in the collection chamber. So far, they haven't learned to help themselves the larvae but it's only a matter of time.

Gary

I couldn't help but comment on BSFL and the cold climate.

I have two worms farms at present and all through winter here in TAS the BSFL bread like wildfire in the worm farm. They are both located down the side of the house and receive no direct sun.

I will be purchasing a Biopod system soon however, as I'm getting tired of picking the larvae out by hand so it will be interesting to see how it goes as a stand alone unit..

Cheers

Tony

Wow Tony,

That really surprises me. Do you have a few pics maybe that you could post? I still havent seen any about yet and we are are seeing temp around 30C now.

Gday Brett,

For the biopod contact David Watson circlethree@me.com or on 0412345089 he is based in Qld. From memory it was about $300 for the smaller residential unit. Shipping was the problem. I managed to get it down to under $100 from Qld to SA but due to the size 600x600x600mm a lot of companies use the cubed weight which comes out to about 54kg!!!!!! If you cant pick it up it reallys pays to shop around for shipping.

I am getting between 10 and 30 larvae in the collection bucket each morning at the moment. I am very happy with my biopod as it is nice and clean and very convenient.

Cheers

Darren