Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shane

My systems.....

288 posts in this topic

Hey Shane great lookin veggies. Love the look of those chilli's mate as im still in the first crop of plants in my AP what type of chilli's are they because idd love to try and grow some myself.

And if u dont mind me asking what are u stuffing them with to put on the bbq because it sounds YUM.

Cheers mate

Hi Bubba,

Sorry for not answering your post earlier....it slipped thru the cracks & I've only just noticed it !:tongue:

Those chilli's are some sort of long red banana chilli & are not real hot.

Despite the chiili bush taking a hammering from our cold weather & not looking real flash at the moment, its still producing chilli's in the middle of our winter !

This bush is now two years old & is growing in a small fishless AP system.

th_P8120037.jpg

For the BBQ,

I cut the top off the chilli (lengthwise) and usually stuff with fried bacon bits, chopped mushrooms & onion.

Then pop the top back on the chilli & into the kettle BBQ for a few minutes (depending on heat) whilst the cooked meat is foiled & resting....YUM !:biggrin:

Still pulling a beetroot or two out of the megabin system every couple of days, love eating roasted beetroot, glad I have stacks more growing in three of the Ap systems as well as a few in dirt.

th_P8120036.jpg

With plenty of rain these past few weeks, I have not been watering my dirt vegies with water from the fish tanks, they are plenty wet enough as is !

I have only been taking water from one of the smaller systems to water some pots that are in an undercover area.

Heres what my latest nitrate tests look like.

th_P7280031.jpg

Its not hard to tell which of the 4 systems I've been taking the water from (then topping back up with fresh water).:tongue:

Hi Shane,

Looks like you need an IBC (or two) to put replacement water out of your fish tanks into......pending the arrival of some dry weather.

Gary

Hi Shane,

Looks like you need an IBC (or two) to put replacement water out of your fish tanks into......pending the arrival of some dry weather.

Gary

Partial water changes done in three of the systems on Saturday arvo Gary.

Spare Megabin is now full to the brim with the water volume taken from the systems.

The fact that a lot of the plants in the systems are currently still quite juvenile, doesn't presently help with the excess nitrate levels either.

Very nearly total disaster with one of my systems yesterday,

With a beautiful blue sky day yesterday morning I went up on the roof to clean out all the gutters on the house.

Whilst I was up there, my youngest (4 y/old) came looking for me out the backyard. I was around the side of the house at this time but answered her calls which came from the AP area of the yard.

What I didn't realise at the time was that in trying to see me on the roof, she stood upon one of the return pipes from a GB to my Megabin.

This pipework flexed under her weight & cracked underneath.

For several hours it gradually drained down my FT.

After lunch I went out back & immediately heard the pump in the FT screaming blue murder as it was sucking in a 50/50 mix of water & air.

Rushed over to find the surrounding ground area of the system all wet, lifted the lid to find all my Catfish swimming around in approx 2-3 inches of water, they didn't look particularly happy about it either:frown:

th_P9020037.jpg

They ended up with an approx 98% water change.

Seven hours later....no deaths....we'll see how they go over the next couple of days....very much hoping I've dodged another bullet here.

th_P9020042.jpg

Very nearly total disaster with one of my systems yesterday
They ended up with an approx 98% water change.
Seven hours later....no deaths....we'll see how they go over the next couple of days....very much hoping I've dodged another bullet here.

Took this snap last night....approx 28 hours now since the massive water change. All Catfish are so far OK.:)

th_P9030038.jpg

Heres a few other snaps I took on the weekend of whats growing at the moment.

th_P9020039.jpg

Assorted lettuce.

th_P9020040.jpg

Next lot of Broc's....still a little way off.

th_P9020041.jpg

Beetroot....have approx 80 of them growing at the moment (two different varieties).

th_P9020038.jpg

Brussel sprouts, I'm the only person in the house who eats these....so I only have two plants growing this time around.

Lucky lucky mate.

Yep....incredibly, they are still all OK & I haven't lost one.

But just another few minutes & the lot would have been cactus.

My 4 y/old daughter was so sorry when she realised what she'd done, but like I told her. It was my fault as I should have never left the gate to the AP area open to start with.

Hi Shane,

I have a very similar photo (mega bin and all).....but with Jade Perch rather than catfish.....so I can empathise.

Gary

Hi Shane

It is great you found them in time. To lose fish after investing so much time is very dissapointing.

Cheers

Joey

Hmmmm......Looks like its time to get the possum trap set back up.

th_P9220039_zps65529076.jpg

Long time - no update due to an excessive workload recently:(, Looks like I have a heap of reading to catch up on on the forum.

Back to my systems.....

Beetroot & Snow Peas are both still producing heaps, I've had to hand them out to friends/family.

Broc's are still coming along, but half a dozen of the previously planted seedlings went to seed which was a little disappointing.

Assorted lettuce being chowed down mostly by the Silver Perch.

Nice that the water temps have risen recently also.

I'm back Colin !:biggrin:...& hope everyone on APHQ has been well & had a good Xmas & New Year.

Only just got back the weekend before last, then back to work on the Monday after.:frown:

Its been a very busy last month for me, with the work run up to Xmas, then family flying in from O/S for holidays here, then us all doing a holiday road trip all along the coast of Victoria and into South Australia to catch up with family there also.

I didn't worry too much about the AP when I was away, just got someone to throw a bit of food in every couple of days to sustain them & do a water test for me once a week.

Came home to no fish losses & lots of growth in the GB's (some of which had gone to seed though).

Lost a few of the plants that I had in pots/the dirt garden though, not through lack of water (neighbour watered well for me whilst away). Its just that these constant high temp days of high 30's-low 40's that we had just frazzled them...no mercy from the sun here in summer at times. But no big deal, they are easily replaced.

Am thinking of pulling out a few of the Silver's this upcoming Australia Day long weekend for the BBQ...even though the kids are telling me to do lamb on the spit instead....guess we'll just wait & see what happens in regards to that.

...its nice to be back home....& back on the forum also.:biggrin:

I'm back Colin !:biggrin:...& hope everyone on APHQ has been well & had a good Xmas & New Year.

Only just got back the weekend before last, then back to work on the Monday after.:frown:

Its been a very busy last month for me, with the work run up to Xmas, then family flying in from O/S for holidays here, then us all doing a holiday road trip all along the coast of Victoria and into South Australia to catch up with family there also.

I didn't worry too much about the AP when I was away, just got someone to throw a bit of food in every couple of days to sustain them & do a water test for me once a week.

Came home to no fish losses & lots of growth in the GB's (some of which had gone to seed though).

Lost a few of the plants that I had in pots/the dirt garden though, not through lack of water (neighbour watered well for me whilst away). Its just that these constant high temp days of high 30's-low 40's that we had just frazzled them...no mercy from the sun here in summer at times. But no big deal, they are easily replaced.

Am thinking of pulling out a few of the Silver's this upcoming Australia Day long weekend for the BBQ...even though the kids are telling me to do lamb on the spit instead....guess we'll just wait & see what happens in regards to that.

Hi Shane,

Welcome back mate....

My Aggis down here are browning off at the edges,I can't dig them up and transplant the excess yet either yet, Ill kill them outright...To do that to an agapantha is going somewhat I think... battling with the pot plants but I think they will pull through...It's true what you say The sun just frazzles the plants in the pots this time of the year...

Cheers.

Hi Shane

Good to hear you are still around and that your system doing well. It's great to return home from a break to find your system has been reliable and all your fish are still alive. A few sick plants don't matter, it does'nt take long to replace a few plants. Melbourne's summer heat is also knocking my plants around, both in the AP system and the dirt garden.

Cheers

Rudy

Melbourne's summer heat is also knocking my plants around, both in the AP system and the dirt garden.

Cheers

Rudy

Yes the long hours of harsh sunlight here this time of year does take a toll on all the garden.

But lets also not forget how deadly it can be to us as well though guys & girls when we are outside in the garden exposed to it for hours on end !...I've lost count of the suspicious / suspected melanoma's they've cut out of my skin over the years...legs/shoulders/neck (always the exposed areas)...so like the old TV Advert said...don't forget to SLIP, SLOP, SLAP before going outside !

Only took one day of 40+ temps with no cloud cover to kill off a little over 50% of my assorted lettuce crops....just burnt them brown.

I've brought over the big outside umbrella's since & positioned them to cover most of the GB's from direct sunlight from approx 11am onwards...this has made a noticeable difference thankfully.

Hi Shane,

Welcome back mate....

Drove over & eventually into your State & stayed awhile over the Xmas break BD...it's been a long time since I was last there.

I'd forgotten how pretty it is...only problem was it seemed full of Victorians (who had the same idea as me come travel time over the Xmas holiday break) !

Gees Shane... I was getting worried about you!!! Glad to hear all is well!!!

We ate one of our Silvers the other night... Steamed with Spring Onion and Ginger - served with Soy Sauce - here are some pics...

post-975-1379579097668_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790977255_thumb.jpg

post-975-1379579097784_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790978427_thumb.jpg

post-975-13795790979013_thumb.jpg

Gees Shane... I was getting worried about you!!! Glad to hear all is well!!!

We ate one of our Silvers the other night... Steamed with Spring Onion and Ginger - served with Soy Sauce - here are some pics...

Those pics have me practically salivating, I haven't had dinner yet....not fair !....you shouldn't do that to me Colin:)

There's no doubt your Wife is a fabulous cook...your a lucky man.

Yep...its good to be back home (& back on the forum too) Gary.:smile:

Time for a pic update on the systems.

th_P1280001.jpg

Beetroots are all still growing well (two different varieties)....no complaints from me !

th_P1280002.jpg

As are the Chilli's.

th_P1280004.jpg

Whilst the Beans have been a little on the slow side.

Both the Silver Perch & the Catfish are well & seem to be growing quicker now that the water temps are up....forgot to take a pic or two of them though....will get some next time around.

Edited by Shane
addition of chilli's photo / removal of doubled up beetroot photo ! (see edit history)