GaryD

Moringa - the Miracle Tree

50 posts in this topic

Moringa has been feted as a miracle plant......and has been discussed on many permaculture and small scale farming forums.

Just about every bit of the tree is useful for something.......even (according to Gizmag) for purifying water.

Never heard of it...........take a look here.......and here.

ABF likes this

I have one growing in Noosa, so it will grow in brisbane, I put mine in stir frys and soups, instead of spinach and other stuff, got my tree from Daleys there is also a tree called sweet leaf, hedge type tree, if your after one for eating, easier to grow than leafy spinach that gets attacked my caterpillers.

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/

Mail order fruit trees, I did have to order mine, but its grown really quickly, also they grow from cutting once the tree is established. You can get the seeds off ebay not sure how long they would take to grow, the large seed pod , beanish looking things taste like asparagras , i have yet to taste them but keen to do so.

Hey, thanks for the information. I want to know that if could be possible to grow a moringa tree in my own garden then which kind of procedure I have to follow and the condition for growing it caring it.

I just came across this networking company who are claiming to use the moringa tree based products and I know that moringa is a miracle tree use in many disease. Can someone really use it for their company products promotion or are they really using it.

The Moringa grows like weeds in the Philippines and the Pinoy eat it like a vegetable, they add it to soups a lot and just cook it like spinach.

I remember when my wife tried to get me to eat it, I told her that I didn't eat tree leaves. But later I tried it, the taste is mild it is just another vegetable to me these days.. Never knew that it grew anyplace else but the Philippines. In a warm climate it is a fast growing tree, But they have a hard time growing in the Philippines everyone is after it... So it looks like a stick half the time with nothing on it. But sure enough if grows back in no time at all..

Hi Pugo,

I've never eaten Moringa. Can you liken it to anything that you've eaten previously.......like spinach, silver beet or bok choi?

Gary

Well it tastes like a vegetable nice favor, it doesn't stand out.. Most of the time I see it in soups. I have never eaten it alone it was always served with other vegetables and meat. So I am not really sure.. Sorry

Moringa is called the Miracle Tree for it good properties. Moringa is a tropical tree with a long and impressive list of uses, properties, and benefits. It contain top quantities of vitamins and minerals, and produces a first class cosmetic oil.

Edited by GaryD
The link was an advertisement for moringa products - removed. (see edit history)

Moringa is called the Miracle Tree for it good properties. Moringa is a tropical tree with a long and impressive list of uses, properties, and benefits. It contains top quantities of vitamins and minerals, and produces first class cosmetic oil.

Edited by Pugo
The link was an advertisement (see edit history)

I grow and eat the young leaves, slight spinach taste, very high in anti-oxidants, fed to fish, up's their anti's-os. Starts easy from cuttings, fast grower.

I grow and eat the young leaves raw, slight spinach taste, very high in anti-oxidants, fed to fish, ups their anti's-os. Starts easy from cuttings, fast grower.

I keep thinking that I would like to plant a section of my land with a stand of Moringa, it has a market value in the Philippines even if it isn't high, But shoot it does grow very fast.

Actually there is, it is made into a power and capsules then sold in health food stores, it is made into a prized oil for cosmetics, the list goes on and on. This is the greatest thing since sliced bread.. the way many people look at it.

I never speak much about for the sole reason, I really want a piece of the action on that market.

Its called "Malungay" here in the Philippines. They put it in flour to enrich noodles and pasta. Large noodle manufactures buy from huge moringa plantations found here in Luzon. We have one in our backyard and we mix it in all our soup based dishes. It has iron, potassium and multivitamins, especially vitamin A so I feed them to my tilapias too.

Actually there is, it is made into a power and capsules then sold in health food stores, it is made into a prized oil for cosmetics, the list goes on and on. This is the greatest thing since sliced bread.. the way many people look at it.

I never speak much about for the sole reason, I really want a piece of the action on that market.

hahahahahahahahaha... .fair enough.. hehe.. i have personally been looking at any other areas that can yield high harvests which can fetch high prices ... im sure there are plenty of plants/veggies**/fruits/<filll in the blanks> that can do that, and which could be great for AP/HP commercial farms here.... just have to find it.. :P

nice ... might have to look into that one.... something that is very versatile and high yielding/fast growing, with uses for the cosmetics industry could be interesting to look into.... question is where in the supply chain is the real money... in the harest, or in the oil extraction / powedering ... and then the question is, if its in the processing, how mych is the investments vs the profits... an oil extractor doesent have to cost too much.... :P

The first time I read it, I thought it was a song...When moringa rhythms start to play / Dance with me, make me sway / Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore / Hold me close, sway me more:) LSS

LOOOOOOOL .. hehehehhe.. before you know it, Weird Al Yankowich has caught up on that and released a new Moringa record. hehehheheheheh

I just bought plants last week at Echo Global Museum in Ft. Myers, FL. for $7.50 ea. I have begun to eat the leaves and conditioned my tilapia to eat them, but have to ration them at this point. To me the leaves are not unpleasant to eat and tastes like pack choy. Check out the tree below.

Available from here, even though you can't find it on the website. I called the nursery and asked if they had some, and they did.

http://www.echonet.org/