Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigdaddy

Prelude to a long winded speech

33 posts in this topic

Hi BigDaddy,

How much does a swirl filter cost just for a small system like mine then how much does a nutrification chamber cost?

I have a small (230 litre) swirl filter and it cost me about $300. You can make one out of a 200 litre plastic drum one that DaveOponic made. You can also use another method to capture solids like a combination sedimentation and filer pad tank. Your system comprises two 500 litre tanks.......so it doesn't need to be too complicated or expensive.

I don't know what a nutrification chamber is. Are you referring to a bio-filter (which facilitates nitrification)?

But more importantly,the raft What matirial can I make it from to get two diameters of approx 1 metre and 1 diameter about 700mm.

The raft in raft systems is usually made from Styrofoam. Given your reference to 'diameter', can I assume that you're planning to float these rafts in your round 500 litre fish tanks? If so, the fish will eat the roots of your plants.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, I did mean a bio filter which facilitates facilitates a nitrification chamber.I've seen these type of set ups in fish hatcheries but haven't been able to study them in detail and thanks for the info on the swirl filters.

Yes I was planning to float the rafts on top of my fish tank but not now! I'll think that one through a bit more I think.

Could you give me some more info about the combination filter and sediment tank.That sounds like it could work for me.

Cheers

Bigdaddy

Hi Gary,

I've just being thinking again, just to backtrack a little,and your going to have to forgive me for being a little simplistic here, but thats the way I work.

In your opinion,

When first designing a system and as a general guide. should your grow bed be the same capacity as your fish tank?and

Once again generally,do you have a preferred depth of grow bed?If so what is it?

I just needed to clear up those couple of points

Thanks

Hey everyone I just saw a website on barrelponics for sale,I'm not sure I would like to buy a kit at all. but I thought the floating raft idea on top of the barrelponics this guy built was one worth thinking about.Any comments?

Hi Big Daddy. Can you post the URL for that site? I started in AP several years ago after trying Hydroponics and getting tired of trying to DIY nutrients as nothing available here in Brunei. I came across the Barrelponics designs on the web and based my ssytem initially on this design. I also made a few basic kits that I sold for under $B 500. (My profit margin very low - just did it for experience, fun and to spread the good word on AP)

So, have never seen any commercial Barrelponics kits... the web site I came across was the original guy who was a missionary and was taking the AP concepts to 3rd world countries.

Dave

Hi Dave

Yeah I was going by memory when I was talking about he raft.

I think it could be on the same site as you initially based your initial design on if you google Barrel-ponics you'll see a site by Travis W. Hughey that's where I saw the raft idea and really, I quite like his whole setup it's quite nice.

Without knowing a lot about him, he says he did do time at the Oral Roberts University which is a Christian university in the U.S

Weather or not he was a missionary& took AP concepts to third world countries I don't know

Google R&D Aquafarms go into equipment

I did not like the 2 1/2 barrel one in particular.These guys offer this kit for sale.

Hope this answers your questions

lets know Cheers

Hi BigDaddy,

When first designing a system and as a general guide. should your grow bed be the same capacity as your fish tank?and

Once again generally,do you have a preferred depth of grow bed?If so what is it?

The answer to the question depends on the design of your system. If you are relying on the grow beds for nitrification, a ratio of 2:1 grow bed to fish tank volume is often recommended. You can vary this if you use solids removal devices of some type and tricking bio-filters. For more discussion on component ratios.......see here.

While most grow beds are around 300mm (largely because that's what's most commonly available), they can be any depth from about 150mm upwards. For more information on grow bed depth......see here.

Gary

Hi Dave

Yeah I was going by memory when I was talking about he raft.

I think it could be on the same site as you initially based your initial design on if you google Barrel-ponics you'll see a site by Travis W. Hughey that's where I saw the raft idea and really, I quite like his whole setup it's quite nice.

Without knowing a lot about him, he says he did do time at the Oral Roberts University which is a Christian university in the U.S

Weather or not he was a missionary& took AP concepts to third world countries I don't know

Google R&D Aquafarms go into equipment

I did not like the 2 1/2 barrel one in particular.These guys offer this kit for sale.

Hope this answers your questions

lets know Cheers

Just had a look at this website (http://rdaquafarms.com/aquaponicsSystem.html) This kit does look like a rip off to me. Keeping Tilapia in the two vertical barrels is not good. The kit is nothing like the original Barrelponics design which I have based my own AP systems on and it actually works. these vertical barrels would soon be full of solid waste without a decent sized pump and one half barrel would not be sufficient to keep the water clean.

The three barrel system shown is just a joke.

Dave

Hi DaveoPonic

Even though I'm new at this AP thing I still enjoy a good laugh I must admit I had a good laugh at those setups.

I'm all for different ideas, the original barrelponics idea is great!But not this one.

I think the sad thing is, some people will get sucked into buying one of those kits or even make one on those principles, fail, feel ripped off and never try aquaponics again.That would not be good for anyone in AP.

Just a couple of thoughts I thought I would share. What do other people think?

Cheers