Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MentalSquint

Pigeons/squab?

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried pigeons with their systems? From what I've read it seems that they would be a relatively easy and cheap source of meat, 12-14 squabs a year per breeding pair, and do well in most suburban and even urban settings. Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to feed them either, especially if one were to let them fly free and secure them at night so they could forage.

MentalSquint,

Pigeons make one of the finest manures/fertilizers around. It won't burn and is almost a complete plant food. However, this is because the pigeon has a an extremely inefficient digestive system from the point of view of creating protein.

If you look a the ratio of feed to food, you will see why you only find pigeon eaten as a delicacy. Pigeon is strictly a dark meat -- not many like it and fewer will pay for it.

m

Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to feed them either, especially if one were to let them fly free and secure them at night so they could forage.

Lol. I think the neighbors may get a bit upset about you releasing hoards of pigeons every morning to feed on their gardens and **** on every other horizontal surface.

In many middle eastern countries pigeon is a fairly significant subsistence food. If you search thru some of the FAO literature you will find references to dovecotes several stores high. The pigeons allowed to free range for their feed, the farmer only providing water sources.

Hi John,

Pigeons are great food......and they've been on our Christmas list for some time.

I like the dovecote housing.....but I'm also very partial to squab.....specially bred meat pigeons.

Gary