francois

my pilot project francois

494 posts in this topic

Hi Francois,

Good to hear from you again......as usual.

Yours is the most enduring record of aquaponic growing of any that I know......on any of the forums.  Thank you for your efforts.

Are the duckweed tanks still functioning below the growing deck?

Gary

Hi Francois,

Good to hear from you again......as usual.

Yours is the most enduring record of aquaponic growing of any that I know......on any of the forums.  Thank you for your efforts.

Are the duckweed tanks still functioning below the growing deck?

Gary

Thank you sir

Yes Gary the duckweed is still below..........

Regards

Edited by francois (see edit history)

Looking good.. as always Francois :D

Hi John

i followed your advice ...thanks again

regards

Hi All

during winter I build a indoor cage for them bsf...never tried it and now going into summer I have started using the cagepost-495-0-45316400-1413290021_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-19294700-1413290053_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-90064700-1413290063_thumb.jpg

ande likes this

today i found the 1st larvae and eggs in this indoor cage
limited sun +-3-4 hours per day now and then.
still been cold most days and lots of rain
inside the cage night +-17 and somedays if the sun shines +-34 deg
not a lot of flies +-40 or less i count about 25-26 flies
feed timepost-495-0-96986000-1413290163_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-25294100-1413290167_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-13443700-1413290177_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-76726800-1413290181_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-91338400-1413290185_thumb.jpg

post-495-0-64172000-1413290200_thumb.jpg

Hi Francois,

Are you trying to keep your BSF larvae colony going during the winter months......or are you trying to breed them?

During cold weather, BSF larvae go into a state of hibernation (probably not the correct technical term) where they can slow their growth with all of the energy being directed toward maintaining their body temperature.  Where they will undergo the five stages of pre-pupation in about a fortnight in optimum weather, they can take months to grow out in colder weather.

If you are planning to have them breed in colder weather, you need to replicated their breeding conditions......temperature, a kitty litter tray of clean dirt (for them to undergo metamorphosis from larvae to a fly....and a tree branch for the adults to use on their wedding night.

In natural conditions, the larvae undergo five pre-pupation stages (called instars).  In the final stage, they moult (and have no mouth parts) and they crawl out of the putrefying food source.....emptying their gut as they go.  They then bury themselves in the soil and are transformed from larvae to flies.

Once their wings dry out, they fly up into a tree or shrub and mate.  The male BSF then dies.   The female lives long enough to deposit her eggs adjacent to (but not in) a suitable food source.....like a rotting carcass or fruit or vegetables (they are particularly fond of compost bins).  When the eggs hatch, they get into the putrefying mass (literally and figuratively).......and the cycle begins again.

If you are going to do a whole 'cradle to the grave' thing with BSF, you'll need to replicate this process.  I've seen photos of experimental breeding set ups in universities and they contain the whole thing in an aviary (complete with a small tree in a pot) clad with insect-proof screen.

Gary