Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evan

Clams

11 posts in this topic

Hi Evan,

Australian aquaponicists are able to access freshwater mussels (probably what you call clams) but I'm not aware of any who have eaten them.

I believe that indigenous people eat them but much of a traditional diet would be best described as an acquired taste so, as much as I admire the ability of aboriginal people to exist in sometimes harsh environments, I don't whether your average punter would find them all that palatable.

Gary

Clam chowder is one of my favorite things to eat in the winter.

Clams are great if cooked properly, a few beers and some grilled clams isn't too bad on a hot day either. :)

Hi Evan,

While clam chowder isn't a common dish in Australia, plenty of people still eat clam-like shellfish.....but they're usually salt water ones.

Gary

Smoked mussels taste a lot like smoked oysters. Mussels will grow and breed in AP. They need fish as hosts in there life cycle. Does not harm the fish. They may even be cleaner in an AP system due to water quality. Not sure how fast they grow.

I live in North America, and really like the taste of mussels. They are not gamey, but do lack the saltiness...essentially you couldn't tell estuary clams (mussels) from the beach clam.They are a little softer in texture. You can use them in all the same recipes if you add sea weed or heavy salts to a brine. They will get nasty tasting if the water isn't really nice so that might account for the poor reputation of the mussel as a food. Of course I have no idea what mussels are like on that side, but you might be surprised by the tastiness of some mussels.

We also have high mountain stream mussels- those are generally hard and gamey tasting- not bad, per say, but definitely not similar.

I can honestly not imagine life without clam chowder. It makes me want to send y'all some.

have to agree with the clam chowder... very nice after a long day outside in the winter... maybe with a cup of hot co-coa... warm ya right up.

have to agree with the clam chowder... very nice after a long day outside in the winter... maybe with a cup of hot co-coa... warm ya right up.

Is that Manhattan or New England style?! :biggrin: