Sign in to follow this  
wafiq95

Attract Black Soldier Fly

Hello, I’m from KL too and very much a newbie with aquaponics. Merely based from Internet readings, I’ve jumped into aquaponics by starting with a micro setup using 2 feet glass aquarium, pumps, Styrofoam grape box as my growbox sitting on top with overflow pipe. Using hydroton as growing media, I’m trying lettuce, chives (kucai), pegaga, seylom, pak choi, kalian and few others. Since the setup is in my room, I’m using 2x13watt high efficient flouro lights as growlights. Fishes are 1 kaloi, 4 sepat, 3 kap rumput and 2 gold fish. To date, the lettuces and pegaga are thriving, everything else is struggling. Obviously there is nutrient deficiency, and I’m trying hard to improve things.

I’ve also started my own diy biopod last week by using a broken 4 liter pail, Styrofoam cover and the ramp is from half cut bicycle tyre. Joint everything with silicon and tie zips and my biopod Mark 1 is ready. As starters I’ve put in some spoilt rice, mango peelings, coffee grounds, potato peelings, plus various other stuff. After a few days the smell starts appearing, especially the leech smells like bad vinegar/apple cider. On day 4, I found about 6 BSF grubs in the compost, whereas I’ve never seen one BSF flying around. Probably it came when I’m not around. From the larvae appearance, I’m pretty sure it is BSF grubs (pointed and rounded at either ends). Size is about 1cm. Hopefully in a few days time I can harvest some.

In short, don’t go looking around for BSF. It will come to you if you can be as smelly as mybiopod Mark 1. :)

Hello, I’m from KL too and very much a newbie with aquaponics. Merely based from Internet readings, I’ve jumped into aquaponics by starting with a micro setup using 2 feet glass aquarium, pumps, Styrofoam grape box as my growbox sitting on top with overflow pipe. Using hydroton as growing media, I’m trying lettuce, chives (kucai), pegaga, seylom, pak choi, kalian and few others. Since the setup is in my room, I’m using 2x13watt high efficient flouro lights as growlights. Fishes are 1 kaloi, 4 sepat, 3 kap rumput and 2 gold fish. To date, the lettuces and pegaga are thriving, everything else is struggling. Obviously there is nutrient deficiency, and I’m trying hard to improve things.

I’ve also started my own diy biopod last week by using a broken 4 liter pail, Styrofoam cover and the ramp is from half cut bicycle tyre. Joint everything with silicon and tie zips and my biopod Mark 1 is ready. As starters I’ve put in some spoilt rice, mango peelings, coffee grounds, potato peelings, plus various other stuff. After a few days the smell starts appearing, especially the leech smells like bad vinegar/apple cider. On day 4, I found about 6 BSF grubs in the compost, whereas I’ve never seen one BSF flying around. Probably it came when I’m not around. From the larvae appearance, I’m pretty sure it is BSF grubs (pointed and rounded at either ends). Size is about 1cm. Hopefully in a few days time I can harvest some.

In short, don’t go looking around for BSF. It will come to you if you can be as smelly as mybiopod Mark 1. :)

Thanks. I will use your strategy. I will put banana peels, frozen veggies, egg shell, rice, and tea bag

:):P:D:cool::eek:

hey Asan. Does your diy have drainage?

For drainage, I made a small hole about 1 inch from the bottom. Inside, I put in 1 inch of coconut fiber bedding. Then start filling with your peelings, etc. Liquid (leech) will seep out from this hole and will accumulate outside the pail.

The stand for the pail is a plastic paint tub (17 liter type). The diameter of this tub's cover is about 1 inch larger than diameter of bottom of the pail. Hence, when the pail is placed on top of the tub, there is a 0.5 inch gap all around the perimeter of pail. Here I pour in water, acting as ant barrier. The leech will accumulate here too.

The setup sits on earth ground besides a 4 inch drain. To freshen things up, I pour fresh water all around the ant barrier/leech collecting channel, and the ground surrounding is always wet, hoping it will be a new housing development area for earthworms… ;))

Asan, if you say they are about 1cm long then I think you got the real thing. The supervisor I've met did mention the grubs are very large, much bigger than normal maggots. Is there any way I could get any larvae or eggs from you? Maybe not now since I need to set up a breeding site for them first but is there any chance let say in a year from now?

I heard that they eat any organic matter but not sure if they'll consume oily foods...we do have lots of oily food refuse around here...

The only problem we've got here is the rich ecosystem and the myriad of lifeforms in malaysia. I've tried attracting bsf before but the whole thing turned into a carnival for every species of flies. Due the rising threat of health hazard I had to call it off...

One good thing about bsf is that they could destroy the life cycle of common houseflies by taking away their source of food and breeding. Hopefully we could get rid of this pest altogether with the introduction of black soldier fly.

Asan, if you say they are about 1cm long then I think you got the real thing. The supervisor I've met did mention the grubs are very large, much bigger than normal maggots. Is there any way I could get any larvae or eggs from you? Maybe not now since I need to set up a breeding site for them first but is there any chance let say in a year from now?

I heard that they eat any organic matter but not sure if they'll consume oily foods...we do have lots of oily food refuse around here...

The only problem we've got here is the rich ecosystem and the myriad of lifeforms in malaysia. I've tried attracting bsf before but the whole thing turned into a carnival for every species of flies. Due the rising threat of health hazard I had to call it off...

One good thing about bsf is that they could destroy the life cycle of common houseflies by taking away their source of food and breeding. Hopefully we could get rid of this pest altogether with the introduction of black soldier fly.

this is also the objective for this thread. keep it up!!

Hey Asan, Arthoz we can be partner of BSF production. what name we can use for our group. I guess ``Penternak Lalat Askar Hitam``. Moto: We produce grubs for decompostion and Last Century WAR.

Yes, that could be a good idea and it would be good for our environment and health since bsf do not spread disease like common housefly do. Aquaponics has sort of becoming a life work for me now(though it's only been two years or so since I've started) partly because it is fun and interesting and partly because people just don't care since many Malaysian are taking for granted of our bountiful natural resources of fresh water and fertile lands.

Anyway lets wait for the results of Asan's biopod first. Maybe he could post up some pics of the larvae and the bsf so we could be sure he got the right fly. The anticipation is killing me!!!

Oh and another thing. Maybe we should not call the thing we use to attract and breed bsf as biopod since I think it's a commercial name unless you are using the "real biopod". Not to be pedantic but I don't want others especially the inventor to be offended in any way...unless they are not bothered with the fact that from now on every device used to attract and breed bsf are to be commonly known as biopod (sort of like the common name of Xerox for a photocopier)...;)

Hi Asan,

Your design is interesting.....and clearly reflects a lot of thought on your part.

It does, however, lack one important feature.....the harvesting ramp.

BSF larvae are genetically programmed to climb out of the compost once they have undergone their fifth (and final) pre-pupation. They will climb a ramp of up 45 degrees as the depart the compost and begin to look for a place where they can metamorphose into an adult fly.

You'll pictures of my early harvester set up here.

If you read that thread from beginning to end, you will get a good idea of how BSF work.

When you first start up a BSF colony it is very likely that you will attract flies of other species. Make sure that your BSF home is well clear of your own house.

BSF are attracted to putrefying matter so they will only come your system when the food in it is rotting. You can accelerate this process by mixing some bread and milk and letting it go sour.

Gary

GaryD,

I have fixed a curved ramp using half cut garden hose. I'm not sure whether it'll work, because of the overhanging situation of the hose might cause congestion/bottleneck and the unlucky grub will be diverted to the bottom where it can get drowned. Maybe when the grubs are matured enough I'll tilt it to help them out.

For my next biopod, I am thinking of using concrete as the ramp. The overhanging problem can be totally omitted. I'll use wire mesh as the formwork and paste on concrete, molding the whole 1 inch spiral/curved ramp as smoothly as possible.

Wafiq,

Your idea for the bsf club in Malaysia is great. But bsf is not new here. Commercial production of biodiesel has been going on for a while now at the Felda Plantation schemes. The palm oil by products is used to feed bsf grubs. Matured grubs which contain 45% protein & 35% fat are harvested in large scale and processed into biodiesel.

Arthoz,

The 1cm grub that I saw is creamy white in color, slimy and pointed at one end. After few observations later I think it's not bsf grub. It looks like it is from the fruit flies. There are a lot of fruit flies; its reddish in color, plum, and mates like a dog. There are lots of this type of grub and the bigger one (1cm) will climb out of the pail and crawled and suddenly it flips itself about 2 feet away from the pail. The flipping grub will lands everywhere, around the pail.

A month ago I've put in some chicken skins and fats and covered it with earth inside my other compost box. Last night when I dig in, I found about 20 matured grubs . To make sure those are really matured bsf ones, I put the grubs inside a small tin can (the condensed milk type), and feed it with some stuff from the pod. I left the tin tilted in a plastic container, and when I came back 13 of them have crawled out. I’m sure those are bsf grubs, dark brownish color, looks really scally and segmented and the fish is starting to love it.

This is a pic of my biopod. A water bottle is used as the harvester joined with a hot bended pvc pipe which fits nicely with the rubber hose ramp.

76cdad5ce9aa082a816b.jpg

Next is my micro-harvester which I use to segregate the mature ones which was found in the styrofoam earth compost bin pictured on the right above. I found out that the wood container suited the matured larva well.

ae02c54567353eb55e00.jpg

My Questions:

1. I gave my fishes some live grubs last night. But one bsf larva managed to climb the vertical glass wall for about 4 inches and almost escaped if I'm not watching. Is this possible? BSF grub can climb at 90 deg.?

2. I placed my compost besides a wall which is normally lightened-up throughout the night hours. Is it ok to place the pods under lights?

3. Do BSF have any color preference? I knew mosquitoes are attracted to blue color.

TQ

A month ago I've put in some chicken skins and fats and covered it with earth inside my other compost box. Last night when I dig in, I found about 20 matured grubs . To make sure those are really matured bsf ones, I put the grubs inside a small tin can (the condensed milk type), and feed it with some stuff from the pod. I left the tin tilted in a plastic container, and when I came back 13 of them have crawled out. I’m sure those are bsf grubs, dark brownish color, looks really scally and segmented and the fish is starting to love it.

That is great news and knowing that FELDA had already started on the biodiesel programme with bsf is also another wonderful thing to hear. From what I've read in other's blogs, bsf usually hides during daylight but I guess it is logical since grubs are at the bottom of the food chain. They had to remain inconspicuous to avoid ending up as food for some frog(yes, frogs eat them but I'm not sure about gecko/cicak) or bird.

Where did you found those bsf larvae, I mean in what locality? Is in the city, dump site or the jungle? I hope you would start breed a sizable number of them. I would really be interested to buy some from you to start breeding my own bsf. Well actually not now because I'm too busy for my final year studies and it's not like I could carry those maggots everywhere I go. I'll settle down in about a year and maybe earlier if I could get someone to help me take care of them.

Anyway your idea of using chicken skin and fat and covering it with soil might be a good idea to attract bsf while preventing other types of flies access to the putrid matter. I think it's somewhat related to the way that the bsf laid their eggs or something, my memory a bit fuzzy on that, maybe I should do more further reading.

In regard of them escaping your fishtank, maybe you should do what gary and the others did. Put them in the refrigerator and let them froze to death first. When you toss them into the tank they'll be nice and still like any normal fish pallets. Although I'm not sure if Malaysian fish like frozen food...you could let them thaw a bit...:P