GaryD

Bamboo

42 posts in this topic

Any tips or uses with bamboo? I'd like to start another patch . Any easy way for faster cultivation?

Thanks yahoo that link was awesome. Glad it's practical for cooking. Will try in the pan asap. I'm assuming all bamboo somewhat edible by humans.sad I was more interested in using leaves and leftovers from building stuff with it for food for livestock of some sort but maybe turning into mulch for compost is best. 😀

its another one of those do your homework things.

bamboo is similar to sorghum or flax, so there is potential for cyanide gluco-somethings in some varieties and others are just plain bitter

http://www.guaduabamboo.com/types/edible-bamboo-species

I have purchased shoots canned, pickled and dried when I can get them.

Edited by yahoo2 (see edit history)
ande and neighbor like this

Yahoo have you eaten bamboo personally? So you like it? I would like to use eating secondary to landscape building purposes even compost material . If possible maybe some parts can be used to feed pigs snails ect. .... Would like to know more guess keep reading thanks for the links

Hi Mike,

We use bamboo as windbreaks, for privacy and for plant biomass from which to create mulch and compost/soil.

Depending on the variety, the foliage can be used as fodder for livestock like cattle, sheep and goats (and probably rabbits).

Large canes can be used for construction and furniture and the smaller stuff can be used as fuel wood and for making biochar.

The important thing to remember around bamboo is to use a clumping variety rather than a running variety.  The running ones will spread like weeds.

A really good thing about them is that they grow very, very quickly.

Gary

Fast growth really what I'm interested in 😀 I plan to raise rabbits again maybe they will like them. Bamboo and moringa are two must have trees for my landscape and goals. Glad great advice fact ect is available for me to take in and make some decisions. Anything multi purpose especially microlivestock and edible plants I really wanna adapt to the systems I currently have or atleast help them out with production overall .

Mike, you mentioned that bamboo is found "wild" where you are. Most of the rest of North America (exclusive of Mexico?) isn't so lucky as to have native bamboo. :(

http://www.namethatplant.net/article_nativebamboo.shtml

Personally, I love bamboo shoots, but I'm a wide-ranging eater so can't speak to your tastes. They're generally mildly flavored and crisp - generally sauteed or added to soups in Chinese food (you can buy them canned at supermarkets in the 'asian' or 'international' foods section, though canned ones aren't exactly like fresh ones). Some varieties in China are salt-preserved and dried. They're a flavorful (and long-storing) addition to all sorts of dishes.

Also, there's one variety that I'm keen to grow (and might have seen it as a landscape plant here so it seems to be possible) : Indocalamus Tessellatus, perhaps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111915949876?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true (this link shows the dried leaves, as they're found in stores, as well as what you do with them).

A company in Alabama sells live plants: https://lewisbamboo.com/product/giant-leaf-bamboo/ (pricey!!) and a google image search for the latin name brings up many pics of what it looks like in the landscape.

I relish (ha!) the thought of promoting its use as a food wrapping, kind of like corn/maize leaves are used for tamales, in a post-plastic-wrap-world :)

Edited by neighbor (see edit history)
ande likes this

Nice links did not realize how rare to have bamboo growing. It's all over but a larger variety grows in a deeper forested part of my land I plan to harvest and cultivate from this area rather than buying them from store market ect. Thanks for info on bamboo 😀

I've posted before that atleast 3 kinds of bamboo are located on my land. Small to large basically all over . I believe this slight increase in one area due to the clear cutting of pines trees. I now am driver of work and I've noticed many varieties all over some don't seem on private land or anything. Would it be good idea to grow different kinds of bamboo in same patch?

We use bamboo to find a source of water. Where it grows there be water.  There are many walking bridges here that are 100% bamboo and have stood forever. The trees in the photo are about to die. Too much water.  They turn grey with a coating of dust like chalk and then fall over. The pond in the photo had its water height raised by a few feet due to construction and all of the trees ringing it are on the way out.  Cheaper then cutting them all down I guess. there are hundreds.  Many chopsticks and even toothpicks are bamboo if you wish to start whittling.

post-4658-0-02596000-1464178493_thumb.jp

We use bamboo to find a source of water. Where it grows there be water.  There are many walking bridges here that are 100% bamboo and have stood forever. The trees in the photo are about to die. Too much water.  They turn grey with a coating of dust like chalk and then fall over. The pond in the photo had its water height raised by a few feet due to construction and all of the trees ringing it are on the way out.  Cheaper then cutting them all down I guess. there are hundreds.  Many chopsticks and even toothpicks are bamboo if you wish to start whittling.

The dead ones are great for making BioChar. Also the ones that cook the longest make great BioChar windchimes, they have a special metallic ring to them

Wow I'm stockpiling truck loads tones of different kinds and growing more and land now . Bamboo is definitely a super plant similar to duckweed or moringa.😀

I will ask around for how they grow them new. In the wild here they just sprout off the mother tree. Over and over. I like to eat the fresh shoots also. Maybe I can get them growing in the nursery. Maybe I can buy a sheet of shoots at the market and replant them.

Can someone explain, What is bamboo biochar? never heard it. If it is treated with a good resin it will last hundreds of years outside as a roof or bridge.

I will ask around for how they grow them new. In the wild here they just sprout off the mother tree. Over and over. I like to eat the fresh shoots also. Maybe I can get them growing in the nursery. Maybe I can buy a sheet of shoots at the market and replant them.

Can someone explain, What is bamboo biochar? never heard it. If it is treated with a good resin it will last hundreds of years outside as a roof or bridge.

So bamboo maybe could be converted or used to construct energy systems . Maybe poles for windmills. Probably burned in gasifer or constructed into a water mill. Maybe other types of energy bamboo material can be used for example heat or irrigation or water movement . Bamboo has lot of uses and potential .

Aiken county is a bamboo Eden . Driving around I've notce new patches everyday . Luckily after our turkey issue we located the large bamboo on our land in my opinion it's healthier than most.so stalks much larger than average persons leg or arm. I plan to relcate some for closer cultivation and so i plan to build something possibly for garden or childen .