Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arthoz

Could this type of prefilter works?

37 posts in this topic

Hi Arthoz,

It appears to be able to remove some sedimentary solids but I doubt that it would collect all suspended solids.

Affnan certainly deserves some acknowledgement for his efforts to innovate.....he's done some interesting experimentation.

Gary

much beater idea would be to build your own polygeyser filter its a biofilter that users suspended media the media is agitated by a burst of air to remove solids you can check out us patents or utube

Hi,

The idea of bubble bead filters interests me but I'm led to believe that they require larger pumps because water flow gets restricted as the solids build up on the beads.......and, if you have to buy one, they are hideously expensive for what they are.

Gary

thats where the polygyser filter is cool it purges the solids from the media every so often and they accumulate in the lower chamber where they can be removed via a gate valve the purge is achieved by the build up of air in a bell chamber that releases the air all at once when a siphon is broken air is slowly built up using a small air pump if you search polygeyser bead filter and look for images you will see some also us patents has all the drawings. in the commercial ones the two chambers are built into the same unit but you can build your own using two poly drums one above the other and connecting them with pipes a build up of air in the lower drum that is released into the top drum where the bead media is circulating thats what a kio keeper did i saw his video on utube i think

just found the utube site l filterDIY Home Made Many Geyser Filter Bead Bio Mechanical Filter

04:02 - 11 months ago youtube.com

It appears to be able to remove some sedimentary solids but I doubt that it would collect all suspended solids.

Hi Gary, will stuffing the pvc with pot scrubbies help in collecting the suspended solids?

As I was studying this for a while bead filters are used as part of the pre-filter system. First the swirl filter, then a bead filter using air to keep the bead moving as the hit each other and they knock down the smaller particles or the particles stick to the beads that have bio film on them. Then the water would move to the bio-filter.

OH ! and back on Topic, Yes it is just a swirl filter, but the one you are looking at seems a little small you would have to deal with it all the time. I think using a barrel would be much easier.

Edited by Pugo (see edit history)

Back to the Affnan mini settleable solids removing filter. I think he needs to get more space between the inlet and the exit. Extending the inlet tube a third of the way down would work. The "swirl adapter" is on the right track but mostly because of the extra distance.

It's a thin version of a radial flow settler without the weir. http://www.praqua.com/products/radialflowsettlers.html

Hi Jobney,

It seems to be a cross between a radial flow filter and a swirl filter.

The second version works better for the reason that you suggested.....and also because it sets up the swirl effect, too. The swirl effect might be further improved by using a single 90 degree bend.

Gary

Gary,

That is funny I was thinking the same thing, Just not sure that it would be able to fit. And it does seen a little small to do the job.

Hi Everyone,

Have a look at bigdaddy's IBC thread.

I have a solids filter setup in a 200 litre drum, works a treat...The idea I got from Crusty and Chainsaw helped me apply it less expensive to my situation. And I adapted it to suit my circumstance.

It's adapted from the old swirl filter I used to have and will take 2 mins to make it a swirl filter again if I want. It certainly works better than a swirl for me.

I plan to add another module soon which will be a moving bed bio filter set up in a 200 litre drum, using the original K1 Kaldness media, placed just prior to my sump.

Cheers.

Saw this at a blog. Check it here.

Do you think this kind of prefilter is effective to filter out all the solid in water?

No I'm sure its not

Funny thing is a bead filter is used on the pre-filter side to remove solids before it goes to the bio filter. At least in aquaculture it does have a limited function when it comes to bio filtration. But it design was to filter solids.

Edited by Pugo (see edit history)

I have three stage filter setup, swirl, fixed K1, then MBF. I converted swirl to radial flow setup and although headloss was reduced most of the solids kept moving into fixed media module. It really was noticable how much more bypassed radial flow setup

Back to original plans now and its working great. I do plan to setup auto flush on fixed media module but havent got around to it yet. Id use small airpump to fill parrallel drum as acccumulator and geyser concept to flush K1. Low on prioroties now as it really easy to swirl with hand and drain next day.

http://www.aquaponicshq.com/forums/showthread.php/4659-JR-s-new-system

I am building a brush filter system that moves to a MBF then to the sump. From what I can tell the is the best configuration going right now.

I think if Affnan used a coil of pipe within his container, he would be able to get waters inertia going fast enough to help separation better. His swirl T looking adapter won't work unless he has high flow/pressure. Having a higher container would also help him.

Hi Jet,

I love your filtration module....it's technically elegant, cost effective and simple to build and operate. Other members, you can see it.....here.

How have you found the packed media filter?

I'm stunned when I see how the K1 media captures suspended solids.

Can you talk us through the cleaning process for your packed media?

Gary

I had not noticed that thread Gary, thanks it was good reading, I have stopped working on my system until my K1 from China arrives. Because I'm unsure if 100 liters are going to fit in the tank. So I was thinking that maybe I can hook two moving bed filter together. But now I kind of think that after the brush filter, I could us 50 liters of K1 as a fixed then move to the MBF. But I am not sure what do you think ??

Hi everyone,

Jet certainly did a very nice job indeed, well done mate,

I think with packed media, you may need to be able to clean it on a regular basis, so a contraption to back flush(just throwing that idea out there) and catch the removed solids, if any or, haveing the media in an easily remaovable bucket would be ideal.

IMO, judgeing from what I have read from Kaldnes, 50 litres of K1 works in 200 litres of filter container.

I would probably have a packed media filter after the moving bed bio filter, and after your brushes as well.

Just a couple of thoughts for you to work on.

Cheers

Thanks BD for the idea, that would reduce the need to clean the fixed media so often. I order K1 and brushes from China waiting on their arrival. before I continue, I need to know how much media I have to work with.. If it takes one barrel I will not need to make any changes, However if it takes two barrels I will have to adjust the design.

Hi Pugo,

If I recall correctly, your barrels are 200 litres capacity....right?

If so, you can put the entire 100 litres of K1 into the moving bed barrel. The recommended ratio is 60:40 of media to water.

If they turn out to be less than that, you can use the surplus K1 as a packed media filter. In that event, I'd put the packed media filter directly downstream of your fish tank......followed by your brush filter.....followed by your moving bed bio-filter.

The packed media filter is simple to clean......you just "boil" it with air so that all of the accumulated particulate matter is dislodged. You can then float the solids off.

Jet's filter is nearly ideal for a backyard system......something very close to that is what I'd recommend.

Anyway, find out the barrel size.....and we'll take it from there.

Gary

Gary,

Actually I am very unsure of there size. They were the largest ones I could get my hands on, and as I haven't seen K1 in person. I have put things on hold until it arrives, So I know where I am with it before going on.. but I will let you know prior to doing anything.. I hate rework.

Gary,

Actually I am very unsure of there size. They were the largest ones I could get my hands on, and as I haven't seen K1 in person. I have put things on hold until it arrives, So I know where I am with it before going on.. but I will let you know prior to doing anything.. I hate rework.

You are unsure of there size? I take it it's the barrels? You can go ahead an measure right away.

K1 is off a spesific size look at the PDF's earlyer posted iff in doubt about tec/spec (size)

You will get a head start on your system(setup) iff you get it rolling whilst waiting for the K1(or any) media.

The bacteria will start colonising or establishe them selfe in any system without any media present they will just have less or smaller habitat to grow on, so get started soner rather than later is my2c.

PAUL