Hey everyone,

first post here and just getting started in the scene, well, expanding on my fish keeping hobby. I have been scouring the internet for a a couple of days now and cannot find any info pointing me in one way or another regarding this subject, so I decided to sign up here and ask the question straight to the community.

Is fish food generally bought to feed ornamental or pet fish such as Hikari, NorthFin, Omega One safe to feed fish you may eventually want to consume yourself? The reason I'm asking is because I already have food of said variety, and where I am, it's seemingly pretty difficult to find commercial fish feed. What are the differences in safety/quality? I know economically there is a huge difference, but if price suggests quality, it would be pointing in the direction of pet fish food such as NorthFin. 

I am somewhat concerned about trace elements making their way through the fish and into humans, but haven't been able to verify that.

Please provide your experience/insight on this subject as I have 20 blue tilapia fingerlings on the way (:

Hi ChinChilla

Welcome to APNHQ

I would not use fish pet food, for fish raised for human consumption, in my corner of the world the ingredients allowed in pet food are different.

I also belive you get a better fish health, growth, and FCR, by sticking to specie specific commercial food.

I just uploaded this doc/pdf in the download section 

Have you tried contacting our site sponsor ? they might ship to Canada ?

https://alliedaqua.com/fish-food/tilapia-fish-food/

cheers 

Hi Chinchilla,

This is only my opinion.

I would use your ornamental system as a stand alone ornamental system and make a completely different aquaponics system using the normal eating fish to drive it. I would feed my ornamental fish the specified food for ornamental fish and the aquaponics fish the proper food for the aquaponics fish. That way you would be safe.

If you are still looking at using your ornamental fish to feed the veges and fruit then I would consider researching if those fish could work using the normal aquaponics fish food. To my uneducated brain, fish are fish so finding an appropriate aquaponic fish food with the appropriate specifications for both should not be a problem, you may know better. 

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses guys,

They will be separate systems(my ornamental fish and the tilapia). I'll check out the PDF now, ande. I was already leaning towards finding dedicated food for the tilapia, but now I'm going to. It also just wouldn't make sense to try to feed the tilapia food which is like 10x more expensive than commercial fish feed.

~Chilla