Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hamiltonaquaponics

Viewing window in tank

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've posted, been a cold relentless winter and spring here in ontario, but the greenhouse is still going well.

I have a 12x16 greenhouse with one warm water system (approx 400 gallons of tanks, 30 ish niles, 20 ish blues and seperate aquariums linked in with minnows and other fish) and am about to finish a cold water system no heat, on other side of greenhouse 450 gallon sump buried, 2 mechanical filter barrels and a 220 gal fish tank. In cold water system I hope to put perch or rainbows in. 

So I'm waiting a few more says for the silicone to cure around viewing window in cold water system. I tried a couple times to put window in bit failed. Determined I made this 'jig' and it went ok- i think- i will know this weekend when I test it.

I'm trying to upload pictures from my phone. If it doesn't work right now I will download from phone to computer.

I thought I'd post the pictures for people interested in installing windows and share my experience.

Cheers 

ande likes this

Cold water system ( on left side of greenhouse) consists of Fish tank is 220 gal,2 55 gal barrels swirl and filter, 450 gal sump buried. 1- 40"x40"x14" raft and one 30"x40"x14" raft. Both deep water are aerated and siphon air as flow in.

Warm water system (on right side of gh) consists of 200 gal fish tank with niles, 75 gal tank with blues and 3 beds all 40"x40"x14" 2 filled with hydroten and one deep water raft. Sump is 2 55 gal barrels buried.

Question is if I put 100 3" rainbow trout in cold water system will that be enough plants? There's around 80 plants (kale and lettuce). I have it plumbed to swap water between two systems (the warm water is well established and cold water is only about a week running with a few dozen minnows) so I swapped some water up to help mature the cold system.

I can plumb in the warm water deep water bed to the cold system - not sure if that is a good idea.

I also plan on adding some deep water and or hydroten beds around the outside of the greenhouse to increase filtration and gain more cucumbers and pumpkins.

I also have a 500 gal tank in a shaded are about 15 feet from greenhouse, I was thinking I could link that into the cold water system to help keep the water temp for the trout between 10 c and 14 c.

A lot of plans - I know - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

20190428_072258.jpg

Forgot theres 4 14 foot nft with strawberries and lots of other stuff in warm water system, I guess putting a few nft's would on the cold water side wouldn't be a good idea because would raise water temp... not sure.

pic is warm water side a few weeks ago (everything from seed except re grow green onions), more like a jungle now...

Cheers

20190413_192732.jpg

I enjoy replying to myself... I ditched the aquariums, I don't think I was moving enough water (they got kinda gross), was cool to see fish but the tank with window (and possibly another tank same size) will suffice for fish viewing. Just thought Id add this because the tanks were rube goldberg-ish plumbed and not working well. Anyone have a system or systems similar to mine? Would appreciate some tips on trout - gh is in southern Ontario near lake Ontario.

pic above is just before I ditched the aquarium madness!

Cheers

Pretty cool, I would think heating your tanks could be pretty costly.