wilsonmj

Raising Fish at School

4 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I am a middle school teacher in Ohio and am working on a project with the local boy scouts.  We would like to get some game fish at the fry stage in the fall and raise them in a 55 gallon tank.  Then take them and release them in their pond in the spring.  I have done this with a trout in the classroom project, but it has become more of problem with meeting the states requirement for where we have to release them.  I have talked with fish and game about the type of fish, they suggested Bluegill, Redear Sunfish or Catfish for the pond.  Here are my questions:

How many fish should I get for a 55 gallon tank assuming I get them in the fry stage like 2-4 inches in length?

Can I raise more than one breed at a time or should I just stick with one for now?

Should we get something like crayfish to help clean up the tank naturally?

Types of plants we should have?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi wilsonmj

Welcome to APN/HQ

Hopefully @Cecil see your post and chime in with some advice on this.

Cecil is located in Indiana so the regulations might differ from Ohio, but he has run a few school projects along side with his commercial fish farming.

cheers

Posted (edited)

Hey All,

I am a middle school teacher in Ohio and am working on a project with the local boy scouts.  We would like to get some game fish at the fry stage in the fall and raise them in a 55 gallon tank.  Then take them and release them in their pond in the spring.  I have done this with a trout in the classroom project, but it has become more of problem with meeting the states requirement for where we have to release them.  I have talked with fish and game about the type of fish, they suggested Bluegill, Redear Sunfish or Catfish for the pond.  Here are my questions:

How many fish should I get for a 55 gallon tank assuming I get them in the fry stage like 2-4 inches in length?

I wouldn’t go over about 20 as I’m sure you’re aware it’s the ultimate size just before harvest that you have to consider. 

Can I raise more than one breed at a time or should I just stick with one for now?

Bluegill, redear, and catfish are compatible. I would’t put any bass in with those species.  Even if the bass are pellet trained, and don’t eat the other species because of their size, they will stress them. Redear won’t come trained to feed on pellets. They can be trained but it’s very difficult. I wouldn’t consider redear. And I wold get fish you can feed pellets as live feed is inefficient and can be costly. It takes about 10 lbs. of live feed to grow 1 lb. of fish. It only takes 2 lbs. or less of the pellets to do the same thing.  

Should we get something like crayfish to help clean up the tank naturally?

I wouldn’t. If you have sufficient mechanical filtration and biological filtration you should be fine. If you don’t you will run into problems.  

Types of plants we should have?

I would not add plants

I have a website with several teachers with aquaculture and aquaponic producers at the below link. Also Ohio fish producers etc  Would live to have you and you could make valuable contacts in Ohio. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/648955648871374/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
wilsonmj likes this

Thanks so much for the information.  I have joined your Facbook site and hope to get lots of information from teachers that are doing similar projects in their schools.