Edit History

Cecil

Cecil

A couple of the baskets floating in the circular tank. If you look closely you can see a black water tubing and plastic mesh zip tied to it. I have built a circular cage with 1/8th inch mesh and essentially lined the tank with it. When the fry are large enough, I tip the baskets and liberate the trout fry into the cage, which has its bottom above the cone shaped bottom of the tank. One problem I had last time around with the fry, was most went to the bottom when liberated into the tank, and didn't evenly space themselves like other species I've reared. This way I can adjust the cage up or down to put them at whatever depth I want. Probably lower the cage as the size and density increase. 

Once it's time to liberate them into the pond I will move the cage to the pond and put them back into it. A larger cage with larger mesh will be around that cage and one more around that. As the trout size increases the trout will be released into the successively larger cages with larger mesh. This protects the trout from predation of the larger free swimming trout in the pond and allows me to cull out the females in the fall, which don't sell as well as the males to my taxidermy market. The females also become egg bound if kept for another year, which ends up killing them. The females will be sold for other pond stocking in the fall for recreational fishing, through winter into the spring into ponds that get too warm in the summer. Most will be caught before they succumb to warm temps in those the ponds. My remaining males that are kept in my pond will be partially harvested and the rest allowed to grow another year. 

Uhex7TDl.jpg

A brown and brook trout that were hatched December 2016 in the basement that were harvested November 2018. Just under 2 years of age in the photo. Fish are moved to a flow through outdoor pond in the spring at 4 to 5 inches in length. 10 to 14 inches by fall, average 16 to 17 inches the second fall. Should be 20 to 22 with some smaller and some bigger by the third fall. 

lA5nibhl.jpg?1

Brook, brown, and tiger trout eggs were Fedexed from the state of Utah USA overnight to Indiana USA. I am adding two more species the year: Rainbow/steelhead, and cutthroat trout. The rainbow eggs are presently incubating while the cutthroat eggs will arrive in April. 

Cecil

Cecil

A couple of the baskets floating in the circular tank. If you look closely you can see a black water tubing and plastic mesh zip tied to it. I have built a circular cage with 1/8th inch mesh and essentially lined the tank with it. When the fry are large enough I tip the baskets and liberate the trout fry into the cage, which has its bottom above the cone shaped bottom of the tank. One problem I had last time around with the fry was most went to the bottom when liberated into the tank and didn't evenly space themselves like other species I've reared. This way I can adjust the cage up or down to put them at whatever depth I want. Probably lower the cage as the size and density increase. 

Once it's time to liberate them into the pond I will move the cage to the pond and put them back into it. A larger cage with larger mesh will be around that cage and one more around that. As the trout size increases the trout will be released into the successively larger cages with large mesh. This protects the trout from predation of the larger free swimming trout the pond and allows me to cull out the females in the fall, which don't sell as well as the males to my taxidermy market. The females also become egg bound if kept for another year which ends up killing them. The females will be sold for pond stocking in the fall for recreational fishing, through winter into the spring into ponds that get too warm in the summer. Most will be caught before they succumb to warm temps I the ponds. My remaining males that are kept in my pond will be partially harvested and the rest allowed to grow another year. 

Uhex7TDl.jpg

A brown and brook trout that were hatched December 2016 in the basement that were harvested November 2018. Just under 2 years of age in the photo. Fish are moved to a flow through outdoor pond in the spring at 4 to 5 inches in length. 10 to 14 inches by fall, average 16 to 17 inches the second fall. Should be 20 to 22 with some smaller and some bigger by the third fall. 

lA5nibhl.jpg?1

Brook, brown, and tiger trout eggs were Fedexed from the state of Utah USA overnight to Indiana USA. I am adding two more species the year: Rainbow/steelhead, and cutthroat trout. The rainbow eggs are incubating while the cutthroat eggs will arrive in April. 

Cecil

Cecil

A couple of the baskets floating in the circular tank. If you look closely you can see a black water tubing and plastic mesh zip tied to it. I have built a circular cage with 1/8th inch mesh and essentially lined the tank with it. When the fry are large enough I tip the baskets and liberate the trout fry into the cage, which has its bottom above the cone shaped bottom of the tank. One problem I had last time around with the fry was most went to the bottom when liberated into the tank and didn't evenly space themselves like other species I've reared. This way I can adjust the cage up or down to put them at whatever depth I want. Probably lower the cage as the size and density increase. 

Once it's time to liberate them Ito the pond I will move the cage to the pond and put them back into it. A larger cage with larger mesh will be around the cage and probably one more around that. As the trout size increase the trout will be released into the successively larger cages. This protects the trout from predation of the larger free swimming trout the pond and allows me to cull out the females i the fall, which don't sell as well as the males to my taxidermy market. The females also become egg bound if kept for another year which ends up killing them. The females will be sold for pond stocking in the fal,l for recreational fishing, through winter into the spring into ponds that get too warm in the summer. Most will be caught before they succumb to warm temps I the ponds. My remaining males will be partially harvested and the rest allowed to grow another year. 

Uhex7TDl.jpg

lA5nibhl.jpg?1

Brook, brown, and tiger trout eggs were Fedexed from the state of Utah USA overnight to Indiana USA. I am adding two more species the year: Rainbow/steelhead, and cutthroat trout. The rainbow eggs are incubating while the cutthroat eggs will arrive in April. 

Cecil

Cecil

A couple of the baskets floating in the circular tank. 

Uhex7TDl.jpg

lA5nibhl.jpg?1

Cecil

Cecil

Uhex7TDl.jpg

A brown and brook trout that were hatched December 2016 in the basement that were harvested November 2018. Just under 2 years of age in the photo. Fish are moved to a flow through outdoor pond in the spring at 4 to 5 inches in length. 10 to 14 inches by fall, average 16 to 17 the second fall. Should be 20 to 22 with some smaller and some bigger by the third fall. 

lA5nibhl.jpg?1

Cecil

Cecil

Uhex7TDl.jpg

A brown and brook trout that were hatched December 2016 in the basement that were harvested November 2018. Just under 2 years of age in the photo. Fish are moved to an flow through outdoor pond in the spring at 4 to 5 inches in length. 

lA5nibhl.jpg?1

Cecil

Cecil

Uhex7TDl.jpg

A brown and brook trout that were hatched December 2016 in the basement that were harvested November 2018. Just under 2 years of age in the photo. 

lA5nibhl.jpg?1