Rosecofarm

Brand New, Setup Questions.

4 posts in this topic

Hello, brand new to Aquaponics. A lot to learn!! We're in southern Georgia, so it gets very hot in the summer (90-100) and can dip into 30's in winter at times, so was thinking about a 10x12 Greenhouse. Is this feasible? 

1. Started design with IBC (275 gallon) but read ratio of Bed to Water should be 2:1 so, since I have only bout 70 gallon of "beds" decided to try a 55 gallon drum.
2. Plan is ten 4 gallon double dutch buckets for things like tomatoes, squash, peppers, strawberries and the like. I've read that perilite works well with dutch buckets with painter strainer bags.
3. A tray for things like garlic, herbs, or starter plants. Not sure if this should be water or have media in it.
4. Square vinyl 5" x 6' posts with grow cups for leafy things, lettuce, spinach, some herbs, just water, no media?
5. All this drains into a Reservoir, which is then pumped across the the tank.
6. Interested in "geyser" type airlift pump, either to get the water from Reservoir to Drum or from Drum to Buckets, or both?
7. Since Im in South Georgia, was think Tilapia (but some shrimp or mullet would be great bait to have on hand!)
8. Based on my initial research was thinking about a "Constant Flood" system, seems a bit easier, and more forgiving? 
9. Am I totally insane? 

Greenhouse 1.0 compressed.jpg

If ease of operation, error forgiveness, and scalability are your goals, take a look at iAVs style.  Once set up it runs pretty much on cruise control.  No need to constantly monitor everything, and a nice long inground fishtank with the beds built above the level of, and over,  the fishtank, no sump tank would be needed.  Really simple to operate and a wide variety of things can be grown without having to employ different methods of AP.  Won't take long to get cramped in a 10x12 GH.

Hi

Nice plan

My NFT 4" tubes have expanded clay in them, about half way filled. I have mainly strawberries in them. I find that the clay balls help in hot weather, If there was a leak or something or power outage you have more forgiveness, without the media things dry up quick. My tubes are high up,I reach up and grab my strawberries. My grow beds are underneath. Also red wigglers live in them.

IAVs sound really cool, I hope incorporate a section in my system one day.

My GH is 12x16 Aufin is right it can get crowded quickly. My system been up and running (not always that smooth) for almost 8 years now, Ive made a bunch of changes to it, constantly learning by trial and error, you tube and sites like this.

Sure you can make that size GH work, if possible you may want to go bigger, more possibilities down the road.

30 f is about -1C, not bad, I put up a double layer in winter -20 to -30C is common where I am.

I have blue and nile tilapia and a couple sp of minnows in separate tanks.minnows for bait.

May want to incorporate a swirl filter. Uniseals work good. I try to keep everything food grade.

Good luck and enjoy making your ideas reality!