brushhippie

Constructing a heating system (Pex sized Uniseals?)

10 posts in this topic

I am constructing a heating system for my greehouse and I want to use pex for the heat coil in the tank...anyone know if such an animal exists? I bought 1/2" pex and it seem to fall between standard uni sizes....May just have to go throught the sides of the tank with pvc then to pex...

Edited by ande
Changed the thread heading (see edit history)

Hi Brushhippie,

I don't know the answer to your question but I have a suggestion and I understand where you are at.

Why don't you go to the supplier of your pex and explain what you want to do to them? Hopefully they will have a solution for you.

Cheers.

Hi, Brushhippie.  I did exactly that.  There are many ways to do this.  There are pex fitting that will connect to 1/2 NPT  fittings as well as PVC counterparts.   The outer diameter of pex tubing is smaller than same size pvc pipe as that are referring to the internal dimension instead of the outside dimension.  The wall thickness are different.     There are Sharkbite fittings made out of bronze and other similar fittings made out of plastic. I found the plastic ones at a local Lowe's and if I messed one up, it was cheaper to replace a few dollar fitting than the metal ones that can be up to $20 per fitting.    I would run your pvc pipe through the uniseal then attach the pex  to the pvc stub with an adapter.  Though there was one time I could not find the right fitting and had to get creative with cpvc  as an intermediary adapter.

Another way I did that was simply have the pex tubing loops  just go over the top of the tank and the weight of the tubing would make it sink in to the tank with sufficient loops. the fish just swam around it.  Though it did get in the way when trying to net the fish out at harvest, so I would just remove it for that , and then throw it back in.

By the way what is the heat source you are planning on using? Wood fire, solar, or something else altogether.?

I have a wood stove in there that is working pretty good...it is a full time job keeping it stoked...(like two trips out there a night) I am considering propane back up also...once I get this up and running I will want that thing to STAY at temp not up and down so it will take some back up..most likely propane. I had thought about just going over the top with a couple of 90s...be less places for it to leak BUT..I have been pretty impressed with the uniseals so far..and have several in use....thanks for the input! Image is kinda how it will be set up..I will have to have some kind of frame to support it the stove will not do it alone.

1118180948.jpggreat pic I know...gonna put ol Phil Swift inside the can as a liner....expensive but works.

Edited by brushhippie (see edit history)

Damnit...edit history...that will put an end to that drunk tappin! No takin it back here! lol

ande likes this

I think...seein how my original thought has been thwarted...I will just go up and over the side of the tank...was hoping to be slick...but looks like slick is oot!

Tank in place for first test...tank heating up...frikkin second hand pump leaks... Ran it for a few minutes..(heater water is around 64) brought the temp up almost a degree to 52.9 and the water is not even good and warm yet...of course water from the ground runs 58ish...was going to change the title of the thread since it is about the heater now...could not figure it out...some web master...lol

Edited by brushhippie (see edit history)

Hi brushhippie

OK like this ?

cheers

Hey cool thanks! Shot a few pics but my phone does not do well in low light I will get some next trip...so far...working good..a bit at a time...alotta water to heat.

tuovPxHl.jpg

pCfCqlnl.jpg

0Lp5iDFl.jpg

wMNV6JMl.jpg

Absolutely no way I can keep this warm enough inside a tent..the winter grow will have to wait till next year when the structure is finished...got the fish inside under the house...now to put together a small system to keep the water clean...easy peasy.