ande

Lefse

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I'w started preparing food for the Christmas holidays, more specific baking "lefse" with my ex-wife. 

I haven't done it for 10 years so it was about time I picked up on that tradition again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefse

We had a grate time chitchatting, whilst producing a good load each.

GOPR9285.jpg

GOPR9298.jpgGOPR9300.jpg 

So we secured what's needed for the holidays , and "a little" extra  with a total use of 15kg potatoes   :jig: 

cheers

kellenw and Toga like this

My wife's family is primarily of Norwegian and Swedish descent.  They love their lefse, so it's an annual holiday tradition around our house.  Looks like yours turned out great!  Krumkake (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krumkake) is also a very big deal for them.  A few (very few) of the men in her family really like lutefisk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk) too, but I really dislike it. hahaha...

You have a beautiful home.  I love those wood floors.  

ande likes this

Hi again 

Forgot to give our recipe (there is loads of different local variations) 

2 kg mealy potatoes, 1/2 cup melted margarine or butter, 1/2 cup whole milk, 1tsp salt, About 200 g all­purpose flour

Cook the potatoes, chill under cover to keep moist, then peel & rice them.
Mix all the ingredients together but save about half of the flour for the rolling. Divide into about 10 pieces. Roll out very thin and cook on a high heat. As it cooks check the underside to see when to turn it over. There should be some light brown spots.

Fold the lefse and cover with towels to keep it moist while cooling, keep stacking on top of each other like in the shown in pic.

cheers

Toga and kellenw like this

Hi Ande,

They look awesome !
They must keep fresh ok ?, with the Christmas still 4 weeks away.

Without your description, they look like giant pancakes for the Norsemen :D

Cheers
Joe

Hi Toga

They keep fresh for about 4-7 days in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge , and OK for another week.

So I fold them up further once they have cooled, I then put them in separate plastic bags (my ex stock 4 in each bag, with a papper between  to separate ) in the fridge for further cooling, before pressing out air, sealing and freezing to avoid condense.  If I freeze for longer storage, I usually vacuum pack.  The trick is to thaw completely and slow in the fridge before unpacking this way they taste just like fresh.

Back in the old days they would let them hang to dry then wet/moist them again before use a special technique this way they could be stored for +/- 6 months.

Then there is also another variation (flat-bread or flattbrød as we say) you use the same recipe/dough, but you roll them much thinner and you finish up with a special roller that pokes tiny holes in it, to vent out all moist whilst backing it. 

These are baked slow and on low heat, to dry and get crispy. This way gives about double/triple the number, and you usually  need some practice to roll them out this thin. These can be stored for years.

Usually both variations would be made at the same time.

cheers

IMG_2512.jpeg

Edited by ande (see edit history)