ansihkgt

Counting and weighing stock in large tanks

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

when adjusting feed it is crucial to have a count of the number of fish in a tank. is there an easier way of counting and weighing 500 or more fish within a tank.

Edited by ansihkgt (see edit history)

Hi ansihkgt

Take a picture, then count the number of fish in the pic, this way the fish is not moving around and can be marked of when counted 

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

Hi ansihkgt,

I use to catch and weigh a sample number, say 20 fish out of 500... then calculate the average weight and then x 500.

Not only useful for adjusting feed rates, but also very important for assigning simple stocking density, transport density & container qty, medication, compound grow out and so much more.

Cheers
Joe

kellenw and ansihkgt like this

pretty much what i was thinking of doing i have about 700 fish in total. hoping to take weigh 50 and do the math.

Was hoping somebody would have a better way to tackle this.

22 hours ago, Toga said:

Hi ansihkgt,

I use to catch and weigh a sample number, say 20 fish out of 500... then calculate the average weight and then x 500.

Not only useful for adjusting feed rates, but also very important for assigning simple stocking density, transport density & container qty, medication, compound grow out and so much more.

Cheers
Joe

That's always been my approach as well.  It's not going to be perfectly accurate, but it's close enough to give the operator a good sense of the total fish mass in the system.  At the tilapia hatchery, this was an exercise we did about once a month.