Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WillroyGreenhand

Red Claw Crayfish in DWC

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I had in my test system the idea to throw some rafts in the fish tank and see if the red claw crayfish is really eating the plants and roots.

The opposite was the case. The rotten roots were accurately clipped and the white roots have been stimulated as the leafy green were growing faster than in the pipe system. 

Has anyone tried to grow red claws in his/her raft system? Or are there commercial growers doing it? 

I think it wouldn't matter to make for my planned Deep water beds a change and instead making them 30 cm raise them to 60cm. More water should even benefit the balance, doesn't it?

Hi Willroy,

My experience is that Red Claws can be rather destructive with roots, unlike their counterparts such as macrobrachium.

I've always preferred to grow out RC's in their own tanks.

Cheers
Toga

Thanks Toga,

here we go, at least one reply and negative experiences were made.

I will not stop experimenting and see If I was only lucky because they didn't like the plants I put in and preferred their home cooked pellets from Duckweed, Soy, Carrots and Tilapia (head, scales, bones guts).

As long I do it in my test farm in my backyard it isn't a disaster. And when I go commercial I always keep them contained in the Duckweed grow beds where I want to produce their food. May be safes me producing the food at all ;-)

btw, I have made with Duckweed the experience that Tilapia grows much faster than without Duckweed in the mix. Lucky here in Thailand Duckweed grows like mad and I can keep up with the production I need (40% in my Fish Food, the rest Eggs, low quality veggies and Tilapia parts added with some fish garbage from the local fish market, (cooked off cause)