Soko

One tank to rule them all

3 posts in this topic

Good day all,

I am new to the forum so I apologize if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere. I have seen the following post;

In a few years I plan on moving up to Maine. The weather is quite cold in the winter and relatively warm in the summer. My main concern is the cold weather where sometimes it drops down to -10 degrees Fahrenheit. Would it be possible to build a raft system deep enough (I was thinking about 4 feet) and have the fish and crustaceans live in the grow bed? This would make it much easier for me to heat the water and would make it much easier for me since I don't have to worry about pipes freezing and bursting. As mentioned in the forum, I would have to add a screen in order to prevent buildup on the root system of the plants. My idea was to make the Bed about 12 feet wide, use 8 foot wide rafts and have 4 feet of clearing for the fish to receive some sunlight as well as feeding/maintenance. Does anyone foresee any issues with this design? Parasites, bacteria, lack of circulation? 

I appreciate any feedback! 

Kamil 

Hi Soko

Welcome to APN/HQ

What you suggest  has been discussed in a few threads/posts. 

I would not recommend it other than in existing ponds that are "over fertilized" (exposed to runoff etc.) for clean up purposes .

Your plants will suffer, unless you over crowd with fish, and then your fish will suffer.

Plants are hard to handle (reach) if the rafts are to large, and if "to deep/wide" pond/tank, it's difficult to handle the fish (harvest) clean out the muck from the bottom etc., so there is a number of reasons, this method is not commonly used.

Here are two threads on floating islands/rafts that touch upon your idea.

I would recommend that you rather look in to cold water aquaponics

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/search/?q=cold&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles

There is a lot more on cold climate discussions, tips and ideas on how to deal with frost etc. as many members have to secure against that, and overheating(flip side of the coin) which also is partly solved with insulation active/passive integration etc.

cheers