FoxWoodRunFarm

Aeroponics?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever dabbled in Aeroponics? I saw some interesting stuff on YouTube about growing potatoes via this method, and the only real downside I could see (besides the setup, which for some of us who love a challenge is a benefit) would be the misters/sprayers clogging up with solids/debris... 

Edited by FoxWoodRunFarm (see edit history)

i have played with the hydroponic aeroponics but not aquaponics.

Academically i dont think solids are the only issue with clogging sprayers.. you could probably keep solids out with a good sand filter... i think the biofilm could end up being the problem long term.. biofilm is the natural occuring biology and microorganism colonies that start forming a slimy coat on the sides of fish tanks and in the grow beds once the system matures for a year or so

FoxWoodRunFarm likes this

We at NARDC are on it and has named it "aquaroponics"..  Please see my forum thread for some details on it.

As an update, our small first trial in about 2 m2 were excellent with regard to multiple crop yields, but had to discontinue it due to some unforeseen client reasons.  We could not do a tuber trial yet there.  Now, working on a much larger commercial implementation space at my own site but need some more time to post the outcomes.

On 21/05/2018 at 2:29 AM, vkn said:

...to post the outcomes.

That will be something to look forward to.  Good luck with it.

On 19/05/2018 at 5:36 AM, bcotton said:

i have played with the hydroponic aeroponics but not aquaponics.

Academically i dont think solids are the only issue with clogging sprayers.. you could probably keep solids out with a good sand filter... i think the biofilm could end up being the problem long term.. biofilm is the natural occuring biology and microorganism colonies that start forming a slimy coat on the sides of fish tanks and in the grow beds once the system matures for a year or so

I think you'd need a positive displacement pump (rather than the simple centrifugal submersibles that are generally used in aquaponics)...small dosing pump comes to mind.  Using one of these...in conjunction with the well-filtered water out of an iAVs fish tank...would probably offer a useful chance of success.