superstewie

Hello From Mississippi

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am from Mississippi. All my life I've wanted to build an aquarium, so now that I'm out of university I finally can. But there are some things and issues:

• I like watching wildlife
  • I like gardening
  • I hate cleaning
  • I am a computer engineer

So, when looking for beginner tips for building my first aquarium I stumbled across aquaponics. It seems to combine all my needs: Gardening, watching wildlife, reducing the amount of cleaning that is required, and opportunities for automation. That seems like a win-win to me. However, as with all things in life, there are some issues, namely one big one: I seemingly cannot find accurate information. It turns out that questions like "How many square feet can my grow beds be for x gallons in my aquarium" are overwhelmingly complex questions and, what's worse, there are no whitepapers that give me math or methods for deriving this information. This is mild annoying, seeing as "rules of thumb" bother me, and I am a min-maxer by nature.

So, that's me and that's why I'm here. I will ask questions and I will contribute where I can. Hopefully over time I learn enough to be of some use on the forum.

Edited by superstewie (see edit history)

Hi superstewie

Welcome to APN/HQ

If you look in the downloads section, you will find some white-papers, in particular on IAVS you'll find detailed figures where you can use the math approach .

cheers

bigdaddy likes this

2 hours ago, ande said:

If you look in the downloads section, you will find some white-papers, in particular on IAVS you'll find detailed figures where you can use the math approach .

Thank you so much. The first paper I'm looking at already gave me the first piece of information I wanted (CHIFT), and I'm only in the first chapter.

Hi SS and welcome to APN,

This addiction is great fun, but you need to go into it with your eyes open IMHO...I reckon, don't be fooled into thinking there is no cleaning nor maintenance of different sorts involved because there is...Take it from someone who is definitely lazy by nature in that area...You just have to do it...Get out there and regularly maintain the system after the build and you'll find it's not hard to have such an enjoyable and IMO addictive hobby...BTW Originally, I was looking at going into salt water aquariums, accidently stumbled on this forum, and since then, have never looked back...

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do...

Cheers.

ande likes this