Pita

Solids Lifting Overflow - 60,000 Trout Farm Solids Capture

4 posts in this topic

I'm currently working on a farm with around 60,000-70,000 rainbow trout in a raceway system. I put in a SLO with 4" tubing but it just doesn't seem to be sucking up the solids as much as I'd like. The water flow's pretty intense at around 3 gallons a second and the rectangular tanks have an outlet when we brush out the solids. Is the problem just the size of the tubes? Appreciate any help :)

Hi Pita

Welcome to APN/HQ

cheers

Hi Pita,

Hard to advice without seeing the actual configuration, but I don't think size of tubing is the problem as velocity in pipe is high enough. In general raceways have poor self-cleaning properties (one of the reasons to choose round tanks).

You can actually improve self-cleaning abilities by creating circular flow in sections of the raceway; they call this design mixed-cell raceway, see https://cals.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/ISTA7/RecircWorkshop/Workshop PP & Misc Papers Adobe 2006/4 Culture Tank Design/Mixed-cell Raceway/Labatut 2005 - Aqua Eng - Hydrodynamics.pdf

ande likes this

Hey Phri and Ande, I appreciate the responses...

Unfortunately, the tanks are all made of concrete and I'm afraid converting it to a MCR would be a little costly. Do you think there'd be a way of doing it without the drainage hole? Maybe creating circular motion with some type of hydraulic motion? I'll see if I can't get some photos of the system so it'd be easier to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks again,

Pete