Camic

Help!

6 posts in this topic

I started an aquaponics system because I wanted a fish tank, and thought it would be a great way to keep my fish happy and healthy, and get some free veggies too. I have a 10 gallon tank with two platies (just had a Molly die off, I'm going to get some more friends soon). The only thing I've been able to keep alive is an incredibly hardy Rosemary plant. All three of my mollies died of swim bladder disorder, and I think one of my platies has ich. I'm really disheartened by what's happening, I just want my fish to be happy. Any advice?

Posted (edited)

Hi Camic, and welcome to APN.

I hate it when things are not right so let's see if we can help.

Lets get a peg in the ground first.

Some pics and commentary of your system, plants and fish would be good.

Whats your water readings?

Tank temps?

pH?

Nitrites?

Nitrates?

Any extra filtration?

How big are your grow beds?

I'm thinking you need to find out whats wrong with your fish at first..I'm not big on this type of thing so I invite others who may know to participate in this discussion as well.

I'd find out about your fish and treat, if needed, treat system accordingly, check the quality of your water, check out how much bio filtration you have, I'd suggest it's OK but we don't know yet.

Also I'd suggest you may not have enough fish for your plants to get nutrients, but again we don't know until we find out how big your grow beds are.

So, in summary, lets find out about your fish first treat them and your system if it needs it, then check your water and grow beds.

Hang in there and keep at it, hopefully we can help you get your system up and running OK.

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

I don't have a thermometer (I need to get one) but I was a lifeguard for a really long time, and I can tell general water temp just be feeling. It's around 70. 

Nitrites: ~2 ppm

Nitrates: ~20 ppm

pH: 7.0

No extra filtration.

I also add a cap full of microbe lift once a week since it's a new tank. This is a really small system. The tank is 10 gallons, and the grow bed is about 1.3 ft by .5 ft

Thank you so much!!

C1F694FA-4ED8-456E-ABCB-1C130051BA5D.jpeg

D51C0D8B-9B78-4DD9-A2B2-80B296C4A80F.jpeg

E478934E-35A7-465E-81A6-6231A0FF8E03.jpeg

24CE86A2-EDE4-420D-A2CA-0D2A49FFF3AC.jpeg

1F9B66BC-7355-4D49-8453-8D0E6DF13618.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Hi Camic,

I forgot to ask, Whats your ammonia level?

Also to measure how much media you have in your grow bed, we also need the depth so how deep is it?

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

Hello Bigdaddy and Camic,

I am a newbie.  I have a 5 gallon aquarium with 1 beta, 3 minnows, 1  sucker fish, 1 tetra, and 2 crabs.  I bought a dishpan today and hope to cut the holes needed to start aquaponics indoors.  I do not have the media yet.  I thought I would order online the clay balls.   I wanted to grow cannabis at first.  I have been watching you tube on aquaponics, and am interested in trying it out. 

I started in the forum to learn about aquaponics.  Can you direct me on what to read first to get started, or just start from the top and read it all?

Thank you for your help

Joanne81023.

Camic, it looks to me like your dealing with new tank syndrome.  The bacteria take some time to grow big enough to process the waste.  Typical time at your temp is about 30 days as  a  WAG (Wild A.. Guess).   The best thing you can likely do for your fish now is add some potassium chloride.  A tablespoon or 2 should do it. Small quantities can be bought as salt substitute.   Lowering the pH might help a little, but at the stage of cycling that you are in , it would likely be counterproductive. Add the salt and then sit on your hands and watch.     By the way. How long did you let the silicon sit that you used to secure your outlet pipe?   Was it fish safe aquarium silicon?  Some of the cheaper grades release nasty things in the water during the curing process.

To Camic and Jojo81023.  I can just not bring myself to recommend hydroton anymore. For a good growth medium , find some ASTM c33 sand easily found at home depot or lowes.  Some fine mesh plastic screen material to cover your outlet of your grow bed will keep the sand in as you pump to it every hour or two.  Best of luck to you both. 

ande likes this