Cecil

Hybrid Crappies it will be!

1 post in this topic

I've definitely decided to produce feed trained hybrid crappies (Pomoxis nigromaculatus X Pomoxis annularis) this spring. Produced black crappies (Pomoxis nigromaculatus) previously, but albeit they are feed trained I'm not that impressed with their condition factors and growth. And I've come to the realization that the really monster size crappies I get in to mount as a fish taxidermist are natural hybrids. It seems 100 percent of the 17 to 21 inch crappies I get in are natural hybrids. Literature says the hybrids grow faster the first two years also. 

My black crappies are inside in an RAS but probably won't have the correct photoperiod and temps to use as broodfish, and I'm really not set up to  produce those parameters.  So will get my female black crappies from a local natural lake as in before and I have access to a reservoir a couple of hours away I will catch my white crappies (Pomoxis annularis) males from. 

Would like to do manual spawning indoors, start on rotifers graduating to artemis and then feed train all in a tank, but don't really have the tank space. 

So will plant 5 to 10 broodfish in a fertilized 1/10th acre pond and let them do their thing. Five male white crappies and five female black crappies.  Unlike with the previous black crappies I will NOT add fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas) for the broodstock. They ended up competing with the crappie fry!

Here's a great publication to read if this interests you:

https://srac.tamu.edu/serveFactSheet/277

ZObBIok.jpg

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
ande likes this