AquaT

Your First Time

4 posts in this topic

So, when you all got started with your first systems what were some of the rookie mistake that you all made that can be easily avoided?

Thank you in advance

Mistake: Not being patient when doing first cycle and wanting to change the water because I thought the water readings were too high.

Remedy: Posted everydays reading on the forum and told people what I wanted to do then listened to their advise, became patient and did not change the water.

Cheers

Thank you DB, I will definitely keep that in mind. How long now has your system been in operation? 

Hi AT,

My direct answer is not going to be helpful to you, but I'll try to expand.

I've moved into a brand new house so ATM I don't have one running. When time permits I will though.

These systems last as long as you want them to. If you are using gravel or clay or other course media, the media does eventually clog and you need to replace it.

If you have no other filtration they do no not last as long as if you were to properly filter with MBBR, swirls or other filters. There is plenty of info on this forum about that if you use the search function.

If you decide to do iAVs the correct sand is the key, no other filtration is required and it is not known how long the sand will last at this stage but all reports are substantially longer.

If you want to see what I have done over the years use the search function and you may need to dig a little further into the archives. Lots of people have also posted their systems in the build section plus, we would like you to post your build as you go along your journey as well, this helps other future newbies and also helps the current community.

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)