AquaT

Black and Yellow

10 posts in this topic

Good Evening, I am new to the forum, and also new to aquaponics. I am in the planning phase of my first 50 plant Aquaponic tower system an was considering doing both Black Crappie and Yellow perch in the same tank. Is this wise or should I just stick with one fish for now? 

Thank you in advance for your wise advice.

I have both in tanks and have no issues. 

That said, black crappie usually aren't sold feed trained. If they are not feed trained good luck getting them to feed on artificial feed. And they are very sensitive to handling. You may lose a good amount initially. Make sure you use salt when transporting (0.5 %). 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
AquaT likes this

Yes salt reduces stress, and handling or transporting fish stresses fish. Even rearing fish in tanks is a form of stress.  Salt is known as the "aspirin of aquaculture." 

Simplified when freshwater fish are stressed they give off salt and have a hard time staying in a "salt equilibrium." Adding salt to the water helps them stay in equilibrium. 

About 0.5 mg/l aka 5000 ppm, aka 5 ppt is usually the recommended rate. I use 0.2 to 0.5 mg/l in my aquaculture tanks indefinitely. (Not aquaponics). 

http://darc.cms.udel.edu/AquaPrimer/saltusencrac105.pdf

14 hours ago, AquaT said:

Sea salt or basic table salt?

Regular table salt is fine. No need to go to the extra expense of buying sea salt. Allegedly you want the NON-ionized salt but I'm skeptical if it really makes a difference. And I am not alone. 

AquaT,

If I was you I would start out with a hardy species that will give you the least trouble for your first experience. That hands down is tilapia. And after you rear your first batch it's easy to produce your next batch yourself. 

I would strongly suggest a book available on Amazon for about $20.00 called Small Scale Aquaculture by Steven VanGorder. Not sure I would recommend building the RBC he recommends but there is all kinds of other information. 

Thank you Cecil I will check it that book when I get a chance. And as far as the fish thank you for the advice.