joshparker44

Yellow perch live weight price

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking at starting a yellow perch farm in ny.  Does anyone know the price per lb yellow perch is getting live weight? Do you know any fisheries that buy in large qty? 

Just keep in mind the largest yellow perch farm in the world couldn't compete with wild caught perch and after pumping more than 20 million dollars into the operation and switching over to rainbow trout. All that money and still couldn't do it. 

Sold and under new ownership, and last I heard they will be raising genetically enhanced salmon.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

On 11/28/2017 at 10:55 AM, ande said:

Hi Joshp44

Welcome to APN/HQ

There is a 2015 price list in this link  http://www.fingerlakesaquaculture.com/Index.html

You should be able to get a price from any of these here http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7742.html

cheers

Ande,

Neither one of those hatcheries is for food consumption with one being state hatcheries that supply fish for stocking public waters and other for stocking recreational ponds. 

Do you know any fisheries that buy live weight yellow perch?  If I can get some prices that would help determine profit margin

I know there is a small fishery that buys yellow perch near me on lake Champlain by live weight.  He pays about $1.35 lb and ships the fish to the Midwest.  So he must be getting more than the $1.35 that he pays out.  My goal is to try and get in contact with the fishieres in the Midwest and see what they pay per lb.. It's been a struggle to find them though.  That's why I was see if any of you guys knew of any.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:18 PM, joshparker44 said:

Do you know any fisheries that buy live weight yellow perch?  If I can get some prices that would help determine profit margin

I would join the following list serve and ask. Joining the Ohio Aquaculture Association wouldn't be a bad idea either.  Ohio has done a lot of things with yellow perch and there are a fair number of growers over there. I've seen some good articles on just what you're asking in their newsletters. I know there is at least one buyer on the list serve below. Don't be thrown off by it being Ohio. Lots of people from other states on there including me. 

Aqua-ohio@lists.service.ohio-state.edu

Last I knew Dr. Laura Tiu was the administrator.

A guy that really knows his stuff on yellow perch is Bill Lynch who was president of the Ohio Yellow Perch Association last I knew. Even though he rears yellow perch he's not reluctant to give advice and give out his knowledge. He used to be an extension agent for Ohio State. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, joshparker44 said:

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome.

You appear to be doing your homework which is good.  I think you're going to find there have been a lot of failures attempting to do what you want to do.