BryanMitchell76

Electrical Automation with a Purpose

8 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

My name is Bryan, I am the Program Director of the Electrical Trades Program and my local community collage and I started an aquaponics system as a way show students "process control" we have a one, 2 55 gallon barrel setup going right now and have the material to make 4 more set ups

This system also allows students to produce organic vegetables for the student food bank.

We are growing snow peas, radishes, lettuce, and tomatoes right now and have bull head, shiner minnow and 3 spices of gold fish. We figured we would get the system dialed in before we added edible fish.

Coolest thing for us is our system is 100% automated, after we hit the start button and input fish food, system is hands off. 

20171113_125118.jpg

ande likes this

Hi Bryan

Nice looking system :thumbsu:

Welcome to APN/HQ

cheers

Hi Bryan and welcome to APN,

I love the way you have integrated technology with growing food.

I also love your sticker work :D

So I take it you still manually test the water? and how often do you test it now?

Cheers.

Well, this is strange, "bigdaddy..." To answer your question about water testing, yes manually and we are not testing enough, My school has an Evromential Engineering Technician program and I hope to get them more involved with my water quality testing. It would also be great for my students to learning about data acquisition as well. 

The sticker work is funny and practical. We thought we had better get a bottom-dwelling fish species to clean up any sunken food and our students provided some bullheads (like a small catfish) and they just dumped them in the tank. We then thought we should have measured them to track their growth as well, but, it was before we had a net. The student said "no problem" went out grabbed his fishing pole and caught them right back out of the tank. haha  

20171013_144019[1].jpg

bigdaddy and ande like this

The fish don't know if they are Athur or Martha LOL...

Just on water testing Bryan...I've found I need to test and log at least daily when cycling, then with the tanks cycled, maybe weekly or even two weekly if results allow...I found I only need to reach for the water test kit when I find an issue then I may test more frequently until the issue is solved then I stretch the timing out again. I look for visible differences also use my nose and ears, then if something doesn't smell or sound right I start to investigate.

Cheers.