Cecil

9/06/17 trout update

15 posts in this topic

Caught and released 10 or 12 brook trout, and two tigers the other day to determine growth and health. No browns but they are in the pond. 

Brooks were 12 to almost 13 inches and the two tigers were in the 11 inch range. These fish are 8 months old. 

I have included pictures of a tiger trout (brown trout X brook trout) and a brook trout including the beautiful dorsal markings of one of the tigers. 

hOAsYkSh.jpg

IWASiUFh.jpg

ULWenMJh.jpg

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
ande likes this

Hi Cecil,

I have never heard of tiger trout before...Don't they look a good looking fish....

All the trout shown are in good nick...I'd be happy with their progress. I'd also be eying one or two off for dinner he, he he :0.

Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words. 

Tiger Trout: Cross between a female brown trout and a male brook trout. 

All trout sell for too much to eat! Minimum of $40.00 U.S. dollars each! Average is twice that by next fall. 

bigdaddy likes this

Around $20.00 per pound. Rarely trout sold under 4 lbs. 

Another species the bluegill (Lepomis macrochiris) gets double or more than that because it weighs much less. Also less overhead than the trout.  

Waiting for the weather to cool off so I can reduce the pounds per acre by moving them to a bigger pond. It's supposed to be close to 80 F. ( 27 C.) on the 14th of October! We usually have a frost by then! 

A pic of a tiger and brook trout male quickly caught out of the pond today, anesthetized, photographed, and released. I think you can agree the astaxathin in the feed is doing a good job of coloring them up.

Still too warm to move them to a bigger pond. May finally change later next week. 

tkoiBaAh.jpg

tnvyaVWh.jpg 

ande likes this

Hi Cecil,

Don't they look good?

How do you anaesthetise your fish?

Cheers.

I use a product called Finquel aka MS-222 (Tricaine methanesulfonate). 

Have tried clove oil. Don't care for it for various reasons. 

Used clove oil with water in a container and had hard time getting rid of the smell of the clove oil!  And it's not much cheaper, and the Finquel seems to go farther. 

Note: Since my fish are not eaten the use of the above is not an issue. 

Wish me luck next week. I'm going to stress over $30,000 worth of trout. I'm going to seine the trout pond and place 60 of each species (180 total) into a 12 foot Intex pool until the pond is completely seined out (same day) and put the 180 back into the trout pond with the rest of the fish going to a much bigger pond on the property.  I don't want to move them but the pond won't be able to handle what's in the trout pond once they get much bigger. 

The trout pond carrying capacity is 720 lbs. upon harvest which is ~ 180 trout @ an average of 4.5 pounds minus a 10 percent mortality. This is calculated at 16 lbs. per gpm flow @ 45 gpm

The hope is the trout in the big pond will average 18 inches and approximately 3 lbs. by late May before the water gets too warm, which is large enough to sell although I get a higher price for the trout that will stay in the trout pond until the following fall. Just don't have room for them all and the big pond gets too warm after May. 

Not only will the Intex pool water be very cool 40's to low 50's F. ( 8 to 12 C.) but it will be have salt solution of  0.5 percent NaCl and ammonia remover. I plan adding a little bit of Tricaine methanfulfanate (Finquel or MS222) to calm them a little. Will also create a circular flow with a sump pump and an agitator to add oxygen. 

The fish will  be moved about 500 feet to the big pond via a trailer mounted 300 gallon tank with a fresh flow agitator. I sold it to a friend but he is letting are borrow it as long as I need it.  Hope to this all done in a day. 

bigdaddy and ande like this

Hi Cecil

Wish I could'w been there and give a hand, best of luck.:)

Try steal your wifes camera or have her snap some pics of the operation.

cheers

bigdaddy likes this

On 10/28/2017 at 3:48 PM, ande said:

Hi Cecil

Wish I could'w been there and give a hand, best of luck.:)

Try steal your wifes camera or have her snap some pics of the operation.

cheers

For optimum weather I may move it to the weekend. If that is the case I will have access to the wife's iPhone for pictures.

Only day with no rain is tomorrow.  But I have a family commitment tomorrow. :angry:

I've moved 108 male brook trout, 218 female brook trout, 71 brown trout, and 70 tiger trout to the biggest pond on the property. Total of 467 trout. 
Only a handful left in the original trout pond that come up for feed. Will probably get them out via hook and line. 

The following are the only pictures I have as one day a friend helped and he had a cell phone. The next day I was on my own and nothing to take a photo with. 

Brown Trout
fCjTyAoh.jpg

Another Tiger Trout

Aqi6jD9h.jpg

ande likes this

I had another heron on the big pond yesterday evening. Had a small trout or yellow perch in his mouth. :o Since I have two federal permits and one state permit to take herons out I got the shot gun out. Don't know why but he flew off apparently unscathed. I should have hit him. It was raining pellets all around and behind him. Proabably went through the feathers as there is not much to these birds but feathers and skin and bones. 

Should have been closer but it's hard to get very close to these birds. 

If I put the fear of Cecil into the bird and it won't come back that is fine with me. I'd prefer not to kill them.